The latest and greatest orchestral VST? What would u go for?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The latest and greatest orchestral VST? What would u go

Post by Kolstad » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:22 am

denalihighway wrote:just to be clear, stuff like NI Session Strings and Cinematic strings refer to "ensembles" etc...but I assume solo'd instruments like violin and cello etc are just as effective and possible in these plugins? The quality of solo instruments is definitely something I would prioritize over the hollywood sound.
NI session strings, have only ensemble strings. This means the whole orchestra (Basses, Cellos, Violas and Violins all together). NI Session strings PRO have ensemble strings + sections, meaning basses, cellos, violas and violins on their own patches. Cinematic strings have ensemble strings + sections as well. Spitfire Albion I have ensembles and (some) sections, but don't have all sections on their own (doesn't have to be a deal breaker, but you have to like the room sound). Albion II is a more chamber sounding library, but that's all I know.

But none of them have solo strings, meaning one bass, one cello, viola, violin ect. So, if you need those, you need to either get a library that have those included (Like LASS), or get a solo strings library in addition. Spitfire and Audiobro have specific solo violin libraries, but there the same differences apply. Spitfire is wet (incorporated room sound), and Lass FC is dry. 8Dio also have solo strings, but I don't know much about them (rumour says they are good). Embertone also have a nice solo violin AND a freebie (Intimate strings Lite) http://embertone.com/freebies/intstrings-lite.php#1

So, lots of research and desicions to be done, I know. No way around that.
Something like Cinematic Strings 2 and Lass FC might be something to consider for optimum flexibility.
You'd have to mix them to your likings/needs, though.

Spitfire libraries are more out of the box produced (Like East West), but not as flexible across genres, I guess. For those who are very profficient at mixing, it might not be such a big deal. But, yes, I think you need to know more about what you are doing with the already produced libraries (can be a little counter intuitive). For pop/rock only, the small Session Strings can be 80% of what you'd need.

It is important to consider usefullness for you, based on what you like to do. I think many have bought these big libraries and never used them, because they loved their sound, but actually never composed music like that. Like Kayle have said, they are not out of the box as awesome as the demo's migh suggest, as they all need some work to sit well in your mixes and sound great.
Ceo of my own life

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:12 am

it is my understanding, cause I could be barking out my butt,lol, but there are differences in sound with a large symphonic orchestra, with first and second violins, etc., full orchestra, they would sound more what I call homogenized and light, less "attack" than a smaller ensemble or solo instruments. As a pop sound I think, Linda Ronstadt with the Norman Riddle Orchestra or Frank Sinatra, Leonard Bernstein, Boston Pops, etc. Solo instruments would work as a small ensemble if you like more attack, such as Electric Light Orchestra for instance, or Franco Battiato.

http://youtu.be/bPa-IiXBfbY
http://youtu.be/SFUFuNdglk0
http://youtu.be/7ERgi8awS1w
http://youtu.be/db5DfAWQIPM
http://youtu.be/iTpam7dl01w

elo had what 2 cellos and a violin, Battiato had 3 violins and a cello.

This is just my opinion,lol, but there is a big stretch between full orchestra and a few strings. For pop you could do just about anything, for a full orchestration you're more apt to be critiqued on convention and proper orchestration/arrangement.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks Kolstad - indeed I will keep researching and try a few demos etc. I'll figure it out. Perhaps getting the Komplete bundle plus LASS FC might be an option. I really need some decent solo strings. The extra stuff with Komplete is attractive too obv, much of which I could do with. From initial research, it seems that if I got to know Session Strings well, I could make sounds similar to what Cinematic Strings has to offer.

I guess none of the decent stuff comes cheap, so I'll just have to accept that part! At least there is pretty good value in the Komplete option.

Len - I hear ya. As always, thanks for your help. Ahhh...ELO...glorious :)

Many thanks gents
Gar

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:53 am

none of these high end products will be amazing right out of the box. They all take a lot of finessing and programming and tweaking to bring out their best.....

To me, what's more important than what library you're using is the arrangement.
Second what Kayle is saying here. LASS in particular really needs to be handled carefully. I LOVE this library, but it takes some finesse, for sure. I am often happy with what I play in, once I get all the CCs working, but it still requires a lot of care. Many LASS patches come with MIDI velocity limiting, which is brilliant.

And what he said about the arrangement just can't be said enough. *Everything* follows from the arrangement.

waltergrund
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waltergrund » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Another one is Hollywood Strings" I think by EW. I got an EDU version which was about half the price, so it gets more affordable...
Hope that helps?

Walter

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:05 am

A lot of this really depends on the style you are trying to emulate, ELO is way different and requires a different touch than say Thomas Newman or a more traditional score. If you want to add strings to a pop song, then perhaps Session Strings is the way to go. A lot of these ensemble libraries have different size ensembles, i.e. full 16,16,8,4,4 or smaller 8,4,2,2 string ensembles...so you can get a smaller or larger orchestra sound depending on the patch. But they are limited when it comes to intimate style arrangements.

For me, it's like buying nice stereo equipment. You can buy the all in one stereo, but I have always preferred separate units, even if they are from the same manufacturer.

There are so many options out there, and as you have found, they can get expensive. But it is an investment in your business and well worth your time to learn how to use them effectively. My best advice is to really think about your style(s) first - then start small and build over time. Maybe start with LASS first chair, or lite. Add Hollywood Winds, or a brass section from Spitfire. Take the time to really learn to use these while filling in the other sections with your Garritan. Then add a string ensemble from say, Spitfire, and learn to fit it in. By doing this, you'll also improve your mixing and writing/arranging chops.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Kayle and Jonny - thanks for the great input.

I'm very much on your wavelength on this one Kayle.

I bought Komplete 10 there a week or two ago and the Session Strings and Kontakt VSL stuff will keep me going for now...when I come back from the Rally and I've robbed my local bank to replenish my savings I'll look into something like LASS first chair I reckon. It looks like the right move in time.

Komplete is a massive acquisition for me - very exciting range of stuff.

Cheers
Gar

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I think I have my first "step up" strings library to be Project Sam Orchestral Essentials. Seems to have the most complete set of options for someone who wants to get their feet wet with a higher level of quality then the Garritan without spending a load of money. If I were to throw caution to the wind though I would look real hard at CInesamples packages if I wanted to double or even triple my budget. Be clear what you want to do before spending a fortune on strings....if you want to add strings to your rock/pop stuff, you may not need to go the whole route ...but maybe later you will, so get some packages you can expand on later of you like, is my mindset. I think in the end really cinesamples and LASS seem to be the gold standard these days. I ws looking are at the CInesamples CInsesymphony Core Bundle, and I honest don't feel that for what you get there $1300 is not a bad price tag at all. Take this with a grain a salt from someone who DOESN"t do much if any string writing, but has done a ton of research and started with the same questions you have. Project Sam Orchestral Essentials for real quality step up from where you are now, or that Cinesamples package....