Strange Email From Copyright Office

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Strange Email From Copyright Office

Post by TheElement » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi Guys I got this weird email from the copyright office. I've registered lots of other songs before but never got this email.

It's saying something about compete authorship of work and having performed everything in the work. But of course we use some samples here and there. How does that work? The samples are cleared and come with a license to use commercially. Just used some drum samples and a vocal "hey" but I wrote and produced it.

Anyone know why I got this email? song is "Like a Boss": https://soundcloud.com/the-element-stud ... e-download

Thanks for any insight into this. 8-)

email from copyright office in Washington:
"We are contacting you to inquire about authorship. By checking “yes” to the three statements at the beginning of the application process, you were directed to the Single Application screens and charged a $35 filing fee.

The Single Application is limited to one work; created by a single individual author; where the author is the sole owner of all rights in the work; and all the authorship contained in the work and in the deposit is by the same author. For additional information about the Single Application, see http://www.copyright.gov/fls/sl04s.pdf .

In this case, it is not clear whether all of the authorship contained in the work and in the deposit is by the same author. Although you created the words and music to the song, it appears that there are additional performers on the CD or mp3 file that you submitted as a deposit.

If there are additional performers, please let us know and we will provide instructions for changing this to a Standard Application.

Or, if there are no additional performers, please confirm this."
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Strange Email From Copyright Office

Post by HectorRContreras » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 am

Dear Gavin,

If : "The samples are cleared and come with a license to use commercially. Just used some drum samples and a vocal "hey" but I wrote and produced it."
I would ignore the pettiness and click on : "Confirm".

Otherwise you are going to get into more trouble than it is worth. And "Like A Boss" is a very good Song, I remember it.
http://forums.taxi.com/topic128523.html
You are right to ask at the Forum. Good advices are going to come soon.
Because "Like A Boss" is YOUR Song and it is very valuable. Not a good time to make errors.

They are probably double-checking if you have co-written it and or co-performed it, ... something like that.

Yes, ignore them, and click on : "Confirm" And do not tell them too much. Keep it straight and simple. The Song is ALL yours, and that is it ! :) ;)
Last edited by HectorRContreras on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:22 am

Best thing to do would be to call the Copyright office and get clarification. I haven't called there in many years but way back when I had a concern I did and they were very helpful.

:) Casey

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks guys. I emailed back confirmation that I am sole author etc.

Strange as I think I already received the certificate.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:40 am

Sounds like it could be phishing - I'd call or contact the copyright office (not through a link in the email) and first confirm that it's really from them - before clicking ANY links.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm

coachdebra wrote:Sounds like it could be phishing - I'd call or contact the copyright office (not through a link in the email) and first confirm that it's really from them - before clicking ANY links.
Hi Debra, No I definitely don't click links. I need to check to see if this is already registered and I have the certificate. But lately I haven't been bothered with registering. Too busy writing and submitting. Heard a few successful Taxi members don't register their copyright any more. No real point I think unless its going to an artist on a label and big bucks $$$'s are involved?

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:37 am

TheElement wrote:Heard a few successful Taxi members don't register their copyright any more. No real point I think unless its going to an artist on a label and big bucks $$$'s are involved?
I've heard that too, though, it doesn't make much sense for them to broadcast that bit of info in a public forum.

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Maybe its like trading as. You can sell an item and trade as in business so if you make money (like in cheque form) there is a record that proves you traded first?