Addictive Keys Grand Piano

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Addictive Keys Grand Piano

Post by teleblaster » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 am

Disclaimer: I'm an absolute keyboard hack..... That said being able to sequence simple keyboard parts has expanded the types of cues I can write and been really helpful. I have the free version of AD Grand piano, and like it a lot. I tend to use it for dark, moody sounds. At any rate I'm considering throwing down the $70.00 or so to get the legit version which will unlock more features and give me a full 88key range.

Question for the group: Are there other Grand piano samplers in that general price range I might want to take a look at before making the purchase?

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Addictive Keys Grand Piano

Post by elser » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:54 am

Check these out,

www.sampletekk.com

They're just samples but if you have Kontakt or comparable sampler you can use them. The Steinways are very popular, I'm partial to the Bosendorfer (The Emperor) but they all sound good for different applications and very reasonably priced.

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Wow, thanks Elser. I'm listening to the 2nd demo track for SampleTekk Black, a beautiful version of 'Stella by Starlight'. Great sounds to my ears, and great playing to boot; and only $40.00. I can't tell if you need the full version of Kontakt, or if the free player will host these samples though. Do you know off-hand?

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Just found this:

Q: Does your samples work with the free Kontakt Player or a Kontakt Player that came with another instrument?.
A: No. The samples will load, but they will only work for a limited time period. Then you'll have to re-start Kontakt. The only instrument that works with the free Kontakt Player are SampleTekk Black, that comes with a license.

I think you might have saved me $50.00. AD Keys Grand is $90.00

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:05 pm

just tryin to help a brotha out. :D

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:14 pm

I have the studio collection and given the flexibility and standalone functionality, it's way worth the price, depending on whether you happen to also need an upright or a Rhodes. The upright, BTW, is my fave, so far, but I'll definitely be adding the CP80 in the near future. Addictive Keys is not as light on computer resources as Addictive Drums 1, so you might take that into consideration, if you're on an older computer. I have other sampled versions of the same model Steinway, and the others don't even come close for richness and detail. If you have Kontakt, the Sampletekk grands are very, very nice. AK's interface just gives you more/better mic and distance options along with built-in piano-oriented compression/EQ and AK's odd, but very useful "delerb" effect.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:04 pm

If you like Sampletekk, take a look at Toontracks EZ Keys. Their pianos are developed by Sampletekk.
Ceo of my own life

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:04 am

For any keyboard players reading this, I would also give a shout out to Modartt. They have a digitally modelled piano (not samples) that is good if tweak it. I prefer to perform on it because I find that the delay of triggering a sample is disturbing even though it's only a few ms. The modeled piano has almost no delay at all.

That said, it's not perfect. For example, like many plugs it is WAY too hot. I turn it down 8-10 dB or more depending. It is VERY tweakable!

I like the Addictive Grand too, but I don't like the delay, and it seems to sound...compressed or something (yes, I turned the compressor on the plug off). Maybe my ears are going....

AHawley
Active
Active

Post by AHawley » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:46 am

I just picked up a copy of E-Instruments Session Keys. Sounds pretty decent, I mainly just got it for the flexible animator and sound design possibilities with the reverse functions and what not.

Check this out if you haven't heard of it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsjlv57IVY4

That being said, I want a different sounding piano in my library to have some more tones to pull from....I'm debating between a few by NI.

Anyone ever use the Grandeur, The Maverick or the Giant? They all sound pretty great to my ears, and the Giant has some more cool sound design features built in too. Anyone use these that can share thoughts?

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... lete/keys/

thesongriders
Active
Active

Post by thesongriders » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:30 pm

I have the Giant but not the others. It's got a bunch of presets. Yesterday I was fooling around with it and it did a pretty good "Hold The Line". I haven't got a good "Imagine" sound out of it though. There is a nice "emotional" preset that mostly nails that kinda soft, dark piano sound that you hear a lot these days.

Here's a link to a thread with a bunch of different piano sounds if anyone is interested.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... otout.html