Sound Toys Echo Boy....

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Sound Toys Echo Boy....

Post by CHuckmott » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:39 am

I try not to get giddy about software and don't really believe in overspending on plugins, but I've run into a few that I can honestly say I wouldn't go without. The first that I picked up that I was glad I added to my arsenal was the Waves SSL 4000 Collection, but early was using it mainly for the bus compressor. But have recently started messing with some of the presets particularly from CLA when I ran into a wall mixing, and have to ay this is a first powerful plugin, and the presets were a much better start then anything I had come up with on my own. The next, and I would consider it even more essential for me anyway, but Izotope Ozone , when it works, works beautifully and really helps elevate your mix to that next level - and it is really new to me, but will take a decent mix and make you go "wow"....But lastly , I downloaded the native pack from SOundtoys and I have to say, all their stuff is good and you may not find a better tremolo or phaser, BUT Echoboy is just astounding sounding and a must have for me I believe. It's like all the effects I had in my system that I wish were all somewhat better sounding, are there - choruses, some phasing and planging but the delays really are the star of the show - and some of the presets alone are just stunning . Being a pro tools user, sorry to say, I bought the Waves Renaissance package and sadly don't use it much. I like the graphic way they preent the eq, and maybe use that more then anything else in the renaissance pack. But anyway, Echo Bo y is going to be my next plug, and possibly one of my last. And iZotope....I've done a few tracks since I picked it up, on one, I was like ehh..on there I was like,Oh My God that's perfect more so then anything I likely would have come up with on my own.

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sound Toys Echo Boy....

Post by teleblaster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:42 am

Echo Boy is an astounding plug-in. The delays are the bell of the ball, (I'm absolutely smitten with the Binson echo-rec simulations), but don't over look the other things it does. Particularly the bass patches. If you've got a bass sound that's a bit enemic, put EB on the buss, dial up one of the bass presets and pump some of your bass track over to it.

And, all that said, it seems to be easy on resources. I put this ambient moody guitar track together with about 10 instances of Eboy http://www.reverbnation.com/aerichgrube ... at-matters

jimmymio
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jimmymio » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for sharing. I often see this plug mentioned by engineers/producers when they are asked about their faves. Soundtoys is a great company and I already have a few of their plugs and they are all great. I'm going to have to add EB to the list.

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 am

teleblaster wrote:Echo Boy is an astounding plug-in. The delays are the bell of the ball, (I'm absolutely smitten with the Binson echo-rec simulations), but don't over look the other things it does. Particularly the bass patches. If you've got a bass sound that's a bit enemic, put EB on the buss, dial up one of the bass presets and pump some of your bass track over to it.

And, all that said, it seems to be easy on resources. I put this ambient moody guitar track together with about 10 instances of Eboy http://www.reverbnation.com/aerichgrube ... at-matters
Nice track! Very ambient.
Must get me that plugin!!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:30 am

Yup, it's rare that I don't use Echoboy in a session, usually on several tracks!

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:08 pm

I was trying to write a track with an Explosions In The Sky vibe and the plug in does that very nicely . I would also compare it to a lot of the ambient sounds on the new Coldplay album and wouldn't surprise at all if they made use of it on that album. Im in the process of putting a track called Fallout on my page that made a lot of use of it and, towards the end, another Soundtoys plug called Crystallizer. Is anyone finding they are using other of the plugs in their Native Pack - I'm very particular when I shell out money for something, and I love the other products in that pack, but not sure how extensively I would use them? Echoboy though I can hear myself using frequently.

And for the record, Explosions work on the Lone Survivir Soundtrack (the Mark Wahlberg movie out maybe a year ago now) I think should be required listening for folks who want to do suspense or tension cues, especially if you are somewhat limited in your strings writing and libraries, uses primarily synths and ambient guitar stuff fem the sounds of it.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:28 pm

I use decapitator quite a lot as well.

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:31 pm

++1 for EchoBoy! I use it on just about every session. It's pretty much one of my "dealbreaker" plugs -- meaning when I was looking to upgrade my ProTools software, I wasn't going to do it until my Soundtoys bundle was compatible.

I also use FilterFreak a lot. It's a pretty close second. The others are pretty cool too, but I don't really use them as much for one reason or another. I would use Speed plenty, but sadly they have been having problems with that one for some time now and it's not currently supported yet for my plugin format (AAX).
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:59 pm

I spent a couple hours with it. EhcoBoy is a given, I have some RF money coming in (and going right back out :) to pick this one. up. Tremolator is excellent also. I've never been a big fan of the phaser, and I am still wrapping gym mind around Filter Freak and Decapitator as far as how much I would actually use it. But if you like tremolo, there can't (!) be another out there better, sorry. But i also own amplitube with their tremolos. Have to say sonically though, Tremolator puts 'em to shame, but then again, you are spending almost $200 for just the tremolo.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:51 pm

If any of you need/want some of that Echo Boy magic in a live setting, check out Strymon's El Capistan; I doubt there's a tape/magnetic echo you could want (including the Binson Echo-Rec) that it doesn't do amazingly well, but it IS a tad pricey.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone