Good place to back up your projects online?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Good place to back up your projects online?

Post by TheElement » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I bought a 32GB memory stick and will back up to that but also want to back up online.

Just wondering the best places to back up online are?

Many thanks
8-)
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Good place to back up your projects online?

Post by HectorRContreras » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Dear Gavin,

What comes to my mind is simply your e-mail address, perhaps a new e-mail account, ... but your e-mail address then would need to be logged in at least every month or every 3 months, so not too convenient if you decide one day for a Sabbatical year, where you would cruise all around the World during many months !!

Next, there is SoundCloud - SoundClick - ReverbNation - WordPress. I hope that Members of the Forum give us more names of Places available on line. Available AND reliable.

Personally I chose YouTube and Vimeo, but then you would have to work at making decent Videos, and it is hard work. Hard work for you and for your Computer.

The TAXI Page is good for keeping safe Songs that you like, but unfortunately, unless one is giving the Link, the TAXI Page of an Artist is hard to Google search. That is because the Artist Name is not in the URL. What is in the URL, is simply a random number.

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:24 am

I mostly use Dropbox. Simple to use, and great for backing up and sharing files/projects.
You get 2GB with the free package.

https://www.dropbox.com/plans

Gobbler is another, though I've never had any luck backing up via Sonar's Gobbler integration. Upload always starts, fails, restarts, but never completes. But they do give you 5GB free. ( though it says 25GB in this old article)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/a ... t-0911.htm

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:01 am

I've been using Carbonite.... $59/year to back up ALL internal drives on a PC, unlimited space. This is in addition to my external hard drive backup. I have one hard backup and one cloud.

No matter what service you choose, the first backup of everything to the cloud will take a pretty long time. I think my initial backup took around 2 months. But after that, easy-peasy.

:D Casey

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:09 am

I backup to both Crashplan and Amazon AWS s3 account.

Crashplan is automatic, and backs up everything on my computer and external drive. Well, not everything, I don't back up the actual samples and applications, as I can re download those. But all my project files, audio, photos, emails..... All get backed up daily to Crashplan, for all my Macs in the house. Costs about $120 a year for unlimited backup space for up to 10 computers and attached hard drives.

Then, I also back up my finished audio projects to Amazon S3 servers. I set up an account and use Transfer from Panic to do the uploads. This is a manual task I do everytime I complete a project. After about 3 months or so, when I know the project is accepted and there are no changes requested, I'll burn a DVD of it, double check that is is in the S3 server, and delete off the hard drive. My S3 account is based on space used. Right now I'm paying about $1.13 a month.

I have access to both my Crashplan and S3 backups at anytime and can download a project file I need at any point. The S3 may be redundant, but it is so cheap that I don't mind and it gives a bit more protection. I've used flash drives in the past, but I've had enough of them go bad on me and need to be reformatted, that it don't trust them for critical backups. I also used to do a hard drive/time machine backup here in the studio, but Crashplan has kind of taken its place.

The old saying is backup 3, 2, 1. You're not backed up unless you have 3 copies, on 2 types of media, and at least 1 must be off site. I've modified a bit :)

I've stopped using Dropbox for most everything backup wise. I'm not too keen on their changes to the board of directors. Also. For something as important as my project files, I like to pay for the service. As has been said before, if your not paying for the product, you are the product.

I use soundcloud all the time, but not for backup. Just for showcasing and sharing. I will often remove tracks after a while and post new ones.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:10 am

Carbonate and Crashplan are very similar. I went with Crashplan as it was cheaper for all the macs in the house.

And yes, the initial backup takes a long time, but then it works great.

kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlpacaRoom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:31 am

Yep, I use Crashplan too. No complaints so far. Everything is mirrored onto a Time Machine drive, and my project drive is backed up to Crashplan. Lost a project drive about two years ago, restored it from Time Machine (thankfully), but it would have been a cinch to pull it from Crashplan, too (but a "little" bit slower).

Definitely, definitely back up offsite.

shorttonpro
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shorttonpro » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:54 am

If you're also wanting to back up actual session files and keep these up-to-date or are sending session files back and forth often to collaborators I reccomend Gobbler as it is created just for this kind of thing.

For backing up of specific files and sharing, my favorite Dropbox alternate with much more space for a low price is Firedrive.

divinorivera
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by divinorivera » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 am

I have been on mediafire.com for backup storage. 10 GB free and pretty easy. They too have upgrade plans.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Cool thanks! Much appreciated. I definitely need to start backing up. Don't have many songs and projects to back up. Probably only 7 I really don't want to lose. The rest are motifs and songs that aren't going to make the cut. But looking to the future when my library will be larger. Need to start sorting out my stuff.

Thanks,
8-)
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud