Crazy listings from a Taxi 'rival'

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Crazy listings from a Taxi 'rival'

Post by denalihighway » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:33 am

who benefits from an overly general music listing?

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:33 am

DesireInspires wrote:The worst that could happen is that your song never gets used.
Well, for me it's actually worse if my music IS used and the fee for getting the shot is more than I recieve in return. Then not only my one song will be devalued, but instead my entire catalog and everyone else's.

There might even be one placement at the end of that listing, so they can claim it's real, but by making it open for everything, they also make a bundle on submissions.

The whole point in creating briefs and pay people to filter the music fundamentally dissapears, so you can tell that either this is a totally new library with nothing in stock, or it's a moneygrab.

By your comments, DesireInspires, knowing you have some experience with libraries, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the listing came from you starting a new library. No experienced person in the film/tv business would not be sceptical towards a listing like that. That would be extremely poor advice for newcomers in a public thread like this.
Ceo of my own life

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 am

DesireInspires wrote: SMH @ the level of paranoia that musicians have. The worst that could happen is that your song never gets used.
Not paranoia if you are concerned about wasting money on bogus listings. That's the point and not the same as submitting to legit opps which have low probability of placement.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:23 am

Kolstad wrote:
By your comments, DesireInspires, knowing you have some experience with libraries, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the listing came from you starting a new library. No experienced person in the film/tv business would not be sceptical towards a listing like that. That would be extremely poor advice for newcomers in a public thread like this.
You are reaching, very far.

I think you are taking my opinion on this matter and turning it into something else. But if that is how you feel, so be it. Many newcomers are smart enough and talented enough to get their own deals without paying. Those that do pay for opportunities are no less valuable than those that do not pay for opportunities.

Give people credit and stop assuming the worst. :D

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:59 am

I don't think I / we are "assuming the worst". We don't really need to assume anything. It's there on paper :)

This listings reads, quite literally, as a listing which is asking for all kinds of music. It could be anything. They haven't narrowed it down whatsoever. Just a sprinkling of completely different bands, genre wise, in the description.

I do agree there can paranoia around, especially from musicians who are struggling to get their stuff across the line. But this isn't paranoia. The listings just stinks to me. And one thing I don't think anyone can argue with is that as a result of the vagueness of the listing, there will probably be tonnes of songs submitted. That benefits the provider and I believe its irresponsible (at best!).

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:07 am

One problem is some companies split submission fees with the listing parties. Taxi does not.

That inherently can create a conflict of interest whereby a listing party can run listings just to make a few bucks. We've all seen it out there and I'm pretty sure THIS company does split submission fees with clients. I try to avoid working with companies that use this practice.

Casey

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:28 am

denalihighway wrote: I do agree there can paranoia around, especially from musicians who are struggling to get their stuff across the line. But this isn't paranoia. The listings just stinks to me. And one thing I don't think anyone can argue with is that as a result of the vagueness of the listing, there will probably be tonnes of songs submitted. That benefits the provider and I believe its irresponsible (at best!).
Have you contacted the company to get more clarification on the listing?

Do you plan on submitting to the listing?

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:09 am

No and no.