Arena Rock Cue

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Arena Rock Cue

Post by DanLuedke » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Can I get some feedback on this? All comments welcome! Especially mix advice and how to make drums/bass sound real.

https://soundcloud.com/dansguitarstudio ... nk/s-ViVx3

EPIC ARENA ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a well-connected Music Supervisor who's currently building a competitive new Music Library from the ground up. Submit Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the stylistic ballpark of artists like Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Muse, Angels and Airwaves, Avenged Sevenfold, etc., etc., etc. Epic, face-melting Rock is what's on the menu for this one. Driving guitars, pounding drums, and a bass line that gets the adrenaline pumping will work best. Although there are No Vocals for this pitch, don't be shy about throwing in a lead melodic guitar line; just be sure that it's not so frenetic that it could step on a scene's dialogue. Give 'em that real band feel, and avoid anything that may be too stiff or MIDI-driven. Submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length with easy edit points and a buttoned/stinger ending (preferred).
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Arena Rock Cue

Post by teleblaster » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:15 am

I saw 'Arena Rock' and thought, 'Journey, Toto, Kansas...'; shows how old I am :). Full disclosure, I have no acumen to speak of with this genre....

That said the production and arrangement sound great to me. Guits are gristly but not harsh, the drums have a really nice room sound on them, particularly like the short reflection on the snare. My absolute lack of understanding with this genre aside, I think you've got a great track here. Bass might be a smidge hot in the mix is the only thing I can hear; but I'm listening through phones. Hope this is helpful, and best of luck.

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Have full run through of your tune, the best thing I can say is to pull a Foo Fighter or Avengend Sevenfold tune into your mix and use it as a reference track compare your drums, guitars, bass and final mix and see how close you are. "Face Melting" is a term used in the listing and that is a pretty specific feel to be shooting for, at this point your performance and mix isn't leaving a tan yet though I think with your sonic ideas you could get it there. A big issue with the mix at this point is compression and getting your mix "hotter" with a louder RMS.

Hope that helps, its VERY hard to get mixes into the ballpark you're shooting for but its an amazing goal, its just a matter of time and a lot of trial and error to get there.

Keep rockin'

William
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:20 am

Erich - Thanks for listening. Regardless of acumen, I appreciate the feedback. A Journey, Toto, Kansas listing would be fun.

William - Thanks for the advice. I remixed the cue with RMS in mind and Foo Fighters in my ears. I have been accused in the past of being too heavy handed with compression so I back off this time. Did I go far enough?

https://soundcloud.com/dansguitarstudio ... -2/s-3OdVP
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey Dan,

Cool track - particularly like the drums. I'm a beginner in that area.

Be careful that the breakdown doesn't kill the momentum - there's been a lot of emphasis of sustaining the 'mood' of a piece in the Taxi TV chatter about cues etc lately. If it was me I would shorten the breakdown area a bit.

Also, and this is just me of course...I would go for something a bit more aggressive than the current guitar arpeggio in the outro.

Take with a pound of salt!

Nice work, good luck with it
Gar

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks, Gar.

Both of your critiques seem valid to me. I'll see if I can work them in.
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:00 am

Dan,

Reading this listing and thinking of being at a hockey or basketball game, the tracks are generally only played for 20-40 seconds to pump the crowded up. So, my comments are based on that fact.

I would start the song at either 0:11 or 0:22. I don't think there's any room for intro's in this genre - you want to hit it immediately.

As to the mix, there's two things I'd adjust.

One, I'd try and make the snare drums just a little bit bigger. It's definitely in the genre that's being asked for, but you might want to stand out just a bit more than the others.

Secondly, I'd crank up the bass. IMO, you want people to physically feel it while it's being played in the arena.

Hope that helps.

John

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:00 am

Hey Dan,

I like this track. It has tons of energy. The drums sound a bit unnatural in the break down(bridge) section. I think there are cymbal hits without the kick at the beginning...something just sounded off to me. I agree this section may slow the song down too much...it does change the mood a bit.

Other than that great guitar work and lots of energy.

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:23 am

Glad to help dude :)

guitars sound great to my ears too