Cubase Export problem- lack of quality wav file

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Daniel Halen

Cubase Export problem- lack of quality wav file

Post by Daniel Halen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 pm

I've been exporting my ,ix from Cubase 4 using my print mix file with no effects on the bus and following the instructions as far as I can tell/ I'm exporting a wav file at 44.1 and 24 bit checking the real time export box and stereo setting. Once I get my wav file onto my desktop I re-import it to Cubase to hear the quality through my studio monitors and I'm always lacking the depth and stereo field that I have on my original print mix. I've ruled out the fact that the loss is from being played on on ITunes and the like and I can't seem to find the answer for this "common" problem online. Has anyone here on the forum found a solution to this problem? I'm also applying dither on my 2 bus before making my print mix. Obviously there's still something not quite right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Cubase Export problem- lack of quality wav file

Post by Len911 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Daniel Halen wrote:I've been exporting my ,ix from Cubase 4 using my print mix file with no effects on the bus and following the instructions as far as I can tell/ I'm exporting a wav file at 44.1 and 24 bit checking the real time export box and stereo setting. Once I get my wav file onto my desktop I re-import it to Cubase to hear the quality through my studio monitors and I'm always lacking the depth and stereo field that I have on my original print mix. I've ruled out the fact that the loss is from being played on on ITunes and the like and I can't seem to find the answer for this "common" problem online. Has anyone here on the forum found a solution to this problem? I'm also applying dither on my 2 bus before making my print mix. Obviously there's still something not quite right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

I'm not sure why you are doing real time export, no biggie.
It sounds like you are mixing with something other than your studio monitors, and when you listen thru the monitors it sounds different. Does the wav sound the same monitoring with the same monitor, headphones maybe? Monitoring with different sources/environments is going to sound different.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:15 pm

when you export audio mixdown are you exporting stereo or mono? 48,000kHz and 32bit (float) is what I use. Make sure mono is not selected.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

Daniel Halen

Post by Daniel Halen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for the help with this problem. I changed from real time export to just a straight export and also changed to 32 bit float and 48k and deleted a lot of the reverbs that I suspect were causing me a lot of lost signal from my original mix through my studio monitors. I'm continually mixing bass heavy and have been working through getting a similar balance between my studio monitors I mix with (KRK Rokit 6 ) and my Polk Audio stereo system with ITunes to AB between. While I was doing a real time export I kept getting an outputted wave file that had a skip in it so I must have been asking for my gear to do way more than it's capable of doing.

Again, thanks for the help with this one.