Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

niallyboy
Impressive
Impressive

"a la's" are not examples of mid-tempo

Post by niallyboy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Hey All--

Regarding #D140925RB, the listing asks for mid-tempo R&B instrumentals, however the examples (except for Amy Winehouse) are more down-tempo:

"SOULFUL R&B INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Publisher working with talented Artist signed to Major Record Label. He needs Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that you would hear on the same playlist as “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse, “Chasing Pavements” by Adele, “Love” by Lauriana Mae, etc."

Any thoughts/feedback on this??

Thanks,

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "a la's" are not examples of mid-tempo

Post by Russell Landwehr » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Heya Nailly.

Yeah, I've run across this little dilemma a few times, but this time I will respectfully disagree with you. These three examples sound mid-tempo to me. The Adele song seems down-tempo in the beginning, but when it gets going it's right there in the mid-tempo groove. So I'd go with the BPM range of the a-la's and make sure the instrumental has the "soul."

For my guideline of Down, Mid, Up, I picture myself dancing... if I'm energetic, it's Up, if i'm dancing with my partner REAL close in relaxed-no-one-else-in-the-room-there-is-no-beat then it's Down, if I'm going... oh hell how do I dance to this... then it's Mid... or Dave Brubeck.

Or maybe I'd call it Slinky (down), Groovin' (Mid), Poppin' (Up).

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:59 am

to be fair, the listing says, "playlist", and any good playlist is probably going to have a variety of tempos, but they specifically want a mid tempo, and it's doubtful a mid-tempo Willie Nelson piece would fit the playlist. So a mid-tempo that the ala's might choose themselves seems most appropriate, imo.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:28 pm

For my guideline of Down, Mid, Up, I picture myself dancing... if I'm energetic, it's Up, if i'm dancing with my partner REAL close in relaxed-no-one-else-in-the-room-there-is-no-beat then it's Down, if I'm going... oh hell how do I dance to this... then it's Mid... or Dave Brubeck.
This is similar to my mindset, however, I could have never worded it so brilliantly. :lol:

Michael

niallyboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by niallyboy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks, Russell--

I would say that the last example, LOVE, is in the Slinky mode, using your definition. Yes, mid-tempo is interpretive, but I don't wish to confuse tempo over energy.

Niall

divinorivera
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by divinorivera » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:56 am

niallyboy wrote:Thanks, Russell--

I would say that the last example, LOVE, is in the Slinky mode, using your definition. Yes, mid-tempo is interpretive, but I don't wish to confuse tempo over energy.

Niall
I would agree that we don't want to confuse tempo with energy. But yes, it could really get confusing. There's these 70 bpm song that's just so groovy and energetic. So safe to look at the feel and vibe of the a la's I guess.

nickfever
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickfever » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:09 pm

It's probably been discussed somewhere, but has Taxi considered listing BPM tempo ranges to avoid confusion? i.e. 70-85BPM tracks...