How did you actually get your first publishing deal/contact?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

How did you actually get your first publishing deal/contact?

Post by denalihighway » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:37 am

Hey guys,

Lots of talk always about getting published, licensed, deals, approaching publishers etc.

Just wondering - how did you actually get your first deal or significant contact?

IE

- via a deal through Taxi or other intermediary?
- by contacting them directly, keeping in touch and eventually signing a track(s) with them?
- through a contact / friend etc?
- other?

I know people probably have loads to say about all of it, and much of it worth hearing but rather than opening a big fat can o' worms, I'd rather just see how it actually happened, as I'm interested in the percentages etc.

Thanks for any replies
Gar

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How did you actually get your first publishing deal/cont

Post by kclements » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 am

Hello Gar -

i am now writing for 9 libraries. 6 actively. My first two contracts were from a Taxi forward. 6 contracts were a direct result of my networking and trust relationships built at the Taxi Rally. One I was contacted directly from the library via my website and soundcloud page. But I consider that a Taxi success as well, as the stuff they liked was all written for the other libraries, which I wouldn't have had without Taxi.

But I would also add that everyone's experience is different. What works for some may not work for others. There are just way too many factors in play to try and decipher any kind of pattern. The best thing that has worked for me so far is "write, submit, forget, repeat"

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:00 pm

My first deal was through Taxi back in 2007.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:33 pm

I did it the old fashioned way... I slept with the right folks. :lol: :shock: ;)

I'm pretty sure my first deals were through a combination of paid services and my own research and networking. I had some library deals in place before I re-joined Taxi around 2007 and acquired additional ones via Taxi.

One thing I'll add is it all starts with the music. If you can get forwards for Taxi listings, you have tracks that are marketable both inside and outside of Taxi. So in addition to using Taxi to seek actual deals, it's important not to forget that writing to listings and testing if you pass the "bar" is a critical part.

Casey

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Searched for "music libraries" and sent emails or filled out submission forms for everything I could find. I still do this from time to time when my "submission songs" folder on my desktop starts getting full to the point where it's hard to remember which song is which. I usually don't hear anything back or get a template reply email saying "Thank you for your submissions, however..." But I have made a few contacts this way.

Michael

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:00 pm

themichaelscott wrote:Searched for "music libraries" and sent emails or filled out submission forms for everything I could find. I still do this from time to time when my "submission songs" folder on my desktop starts getting full to the point where it's hard to remember which song is which. I usually don't hear anything back or get a template reply email saying "Thank you for your submissions, however..." But I have made a few contacts this way.

Michael
Yeah, you gotta forever keep grinding out here.

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Directly contacting publishers. One of my most promising recent connections was about being in the right place at the right time with the right skillset. You can't plan those, but you can be prepared if they happen.

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:31 am

Hey everyone,

Thanks very much for the replies. Very interesting. Nice to see the mix as well.

Ever so slightly, but not hugely surprised by the amount of contacts garnered from contacting them directly. This is an area I must step up.

However, I'm very new to the game and my stuff is still improving so I wanted to have some more and better stuff in my repertoire before I started selling myself. I figure with these guys, you may not have many opportunities to make a good impression. Luckily, the forwards are happening, so that's great.

My stuff can be quite quirky / alternative too, so although I must be realistic and compose with the market in mind, I'm really hoping I may find some publishers out there in due course that might be a good 'fit'. That would be nice.

KC, yes there sure is no formula. If I end up making this work in the forseeable future, it could be from a number of things that may bite that I then concentrate more energy on.

Casey, I'm single man, so the old fashioned route is on the table. However based in Ireland, it'll have to be over the phone. I'll make sure I get my hair cut before the Rally though :lol:

Great stuff, thank you guys
Gar

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:23 am

My stuff can be quite quirky / alternative too, so although I must be realistic and compose with the market in mind, I'm really hoping I may find some publishers out there in due course that might be a good 'fit'. That would be nice.
I'm fairly new to this part of the music business as well. At the end of my first year with Taxi (August of this year) I wasn't sure if I should continue because the styles that come naturally to me never seemed to be in demand so I felt like I was chasing other genres trying to find a good fit. This did cause me to find what else I could be good at if I put in the effort, and what I should stay away from. But days before my renewal was up I was contacted by a library that has a licensing deal that fits my style EXACTLY. Like others have said, right place, right time, patience and perseverance.

I like your tracks so if things aren't happening for you yet it's just a matter of time.

Michael

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:39 pm

Appreciate that Michael.

Had a snoop round your site there - I can see your rewards are richly deserved - great stuff.

Yeah I'll keep pluggin away...gonna wait until at least after the Rally to see how the grand plan might after that. Very much looking forward to it and meeting everyone

Cheers
Gar