Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sweetloumusic
Impressive
Impressive

Clarification needed on AMBIENT, NEW AGE-INSPIRED INSTRUMENT

Post by sweetloumusic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:44 am

I'd love some feedback on this.
(By the way the listing gives the title of the ALA as "Spectral Spirit" which is not correct. The title is "Spectral Split". )

The listing suggests our instrumental to be 1:20 to 1:43. (Very specific).
Okay, the Ala is 17 minutes long! It develops in texture from very free ethereal ( meterless ), to an underlying pulse, to very busy and energizing with lots of instrumental layers.
Should I try to take the music to a mysterious bubbling end or stay with ethereal? Many instruments were listed.
Thoughts are most welcome!
Louise

New Listing AMBIENT, NEW AGE-INSPIRED INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Supervisor for a really cool opportunity! She’s hunting for Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that could add a great ethereal and ambient feel to a Crowdfunding Video that will play on the Internet. Quoting the Supervisor: “We need something that has a similar tempo and feel as ‘Spectral Spirit’ by Pantha Du Prince. That’s a great example of the kind of thing they seem to love, so we’re really looking for something in the same ballpark. Marimba, vibraphone, or odd percussive sounds could be the solution for this one. I’d stay away from anything that is too new-agey, too techno-based, or has too much of an American Beauty (the theme/score from that film) vibe to it.” Read this twice: They’re looking for something ORIGINAL, and do NOT want you to copy, emulate, or rip off the referenced track in any way, shape or form! It’s okay to match the tempo and use cool, rhythmic instruments like marimba, vibraphone, kalimba, steel drums, etc., but create something completely original that sounds contemplative and meditative for this pitch. Your Instrumental can be anywhere from 1:20 to 1:43 long. Sudden, jarring sounds or noises are NOT recommended. Keep it vibe-y, ambient, maybe even a little bit mysterious. It might be wise to end your Instrumental with a buttoned/stinger ending, although that’s not absolutely necessary. The estimated sync fee is $2,000, depending on the ultimate use. You will KEEP 100% ownership of your Master, Publishing, and Writer's Share! This license will be for worldwide use (because it will be on the internet), for 3 years to “in perpetuity.” You will also be able to pitch your track for other uses – this is Non-Exclusive. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights to submit for this listing. Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artist or music in any way, shape, or form. All Instrumentals will be screened on a YES/NO basis. No full critiques. Please submit one to three Instrumentals no later than Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at 4pm (PDT). TAXI #U141001NA

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Clarification needed on AMBIENT, NEW AGE-INSPIRED INSTRU

Post by andygabrys » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:49 pm

might want to look again: this track is 7:12 and seemed to have tempo throughout, and the marimba ref makes sense.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZfaNDmpTU
It might be wise to end your Instrumental with a buttoned/stinger ending, although that’s not absolutely necessary.
so it means if your track is a fade ending it could work, or if you button at 1:43 they might fade it earlier.

If it were me, I would make a track than ended with a button / hit and decay so that with reverb etc. it was exactly 1:43 to silence. And I would probably make tempo similar to the ref.

but that's just what I would do.

good luck!

sweetloumusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sweetloumusic » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks Andy! I can always count on you for good direction!

Louise

Sbuckner1115
Active
Active

Post by Sbuckner1115 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:51 pm

I saw this posting and working on something for it. BTW, I'm a newbie and can anybody tell me what the terminology is for a buttoned/stinger ending. Not sure on that one. I also saw the video link to Sacred Split which was awesome. The guy reminds me of an Iron Chef, but he is cooking up some great music:)

Thanks,

Steven

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:17 pm

andygabrys wrote:might want to look again: this track is 7:12 and seemed to have tempo throughout, and the marimba ref makes sense.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZfaNDmpTU
Very cool piece. I'll have to try that 'trick' - put a string of small bells on my snare drum.

Also reminded me of these clips that were circulating a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCIpKAIFyo
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

niallyboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by niallyboy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi Louise, et al--

For what it's worth, here's my submission for this listing: Final Ascent, found on my Taxi page. I used two live marimba tracks for this.

Niall

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Nice track, Niall. I didn't want it to end so fast!

My attempt is on my taxi page, and is called 'Moon Rise'. Had to do it really fast...