Should I or should I not renew after 3 years?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Should I or should I not renew after 3 years?

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:10 am

Ethan covered it pretty well.

I think you have to look at the whole picture including:

Are you getting better at your craft because of Taxi?
Are you adding more pitchable tracks to your personal catalog because of Taxi listings?
Are you networking with other Taxi members to create even more marketable tracks?
Are you attending the rally?
Renewal is only $200, not all that much in the scope of all the expenses associated with this business.

As others said, Taxi is not necessarily for everyone. I would not try to talk you into it, just put some things out for you to think about for what is a personal decision. My own attitude is it only takes 1-2 connections such as with a music library you wouldn't have gotten into otherwise to make a big difference.

Good luck whatever you decide!

:D Casey

Bernwa
Active
Active

Post by Bernwa » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks. If you look back into this thread you'll see that I did renew. This is going into my 4th year. I agree with all your points but I haven't attended a rally yet or hooked up with other members. I wouldn't mind hooking up with other Nashville members.

My original point was my reluctance to join another year after having 36 forwards. I've been a pro writer and musician all my life so I know well about hanging in there. I will continue at what I do regardless of Taxi. But here's the thing... Taxi touts that they only forward music they feel fits the listing and they again forwarded 36 (now 37) of my songs. And I have not seen ANY placements through them. I've had my music placed in TV and film through other companies for years. I thought and still hope that Taxi will be another avenue for me.

I don't want this to come off like I'm bitter at all. I'm actually optimistic that something will still come of my relationship with Taxi. I'm always willing to learn and be a better writer. But I can't help but feel a bit disillusioned with that amount of forwards and no results. I think that's a legit observation. That's really my main point.

Thanks...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Bernie,

Just seeing this thread for the first time today while taking a break from Rally prep. I can simplify the question: Do Nashville's writers get a cut after every 36 pitches?

36 forwards from TAXI means exactly that. Your music has been pitched 36 times. So have the other members who got forwards for those same pitches. and you all landed on the same "desks" as the other folks who got forwarded by whatever means THEY got through. I can almost guarantee that some day you'll get a call from at least ONE of those forwards, and that will open the door for many more signings with that company, and eventually placements.

There are just FAR too many people who report success stories on these forums (and that's a SMALL percentage of our members who even USE the forums!) to think that forwards don't turn into deals. We hear stories from people who didn't renew, then get "the call," and regret they weren't feeding the pipeline for the interim three years so they could get lots more of "those calls."

Watch TAXI TV

Go to the Rally

Listen to forwards from other members to see what works and learn what's current

Write, submit, forget, repeat.

Too many people have followed those paths and had a great deal of success to doubt the veracity of that formula.

all the best,
Michael
Last edited by admin on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: typo, again ;-)