EDM forward for TV show!

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

EDM forward for TV show!

Post by shanegrla » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:18 pm

My cowrite with fellow Taxi member Steve Collom, I Got it All (on my Taxi page), got a forward for this listing:

U140922ED

ELECTRONIC DANCE (EDM) SONGS with MALE or FEMALE VOCALS are needed by the Music Coordinator of a HIT TV Show. They’re on the hunt to find Mid-to-Up-Tempo EDM Songs in the stylistic wheelhouse of artists like: Calvin Harris, Swedish House Mafia, Zedd, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following songs to get a solid idea of the type of song they need: “Don’t You Worry Child” by Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin “Summer” by Calvin Harris “Clarity” by Zedd ft. Foxes Quoting the source: “We need some Electronic Dance party music where the topline vocal is not too overpowering. The lyrics should be simple and the vocals should be balanced into the song so that it fits like a glove. Vocals should not interfere too much with the track or feel frenetic.” Give ‘em EDM songs that convey a party vibe without sounding overly busy. Melodies should be simple, catchy, and easy to insert into a scene in a TV show. Deliver fun, upbeat, positive, and energetic EDM songs that will make the characters and the audience want to shake what their momma gave them. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and vibe. The estimated license fee for this use is $500 - $1,000. This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% of your Publishing and Master rights, plus you’ll keep 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control 100% of the Copyright and Master to pitch for this opportunity. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Please, do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. All Songs will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a Music Coordinator working directly on the show. No full critiques. Please submit 1-3 Songs no later than Monday, September 22nd, 2014, by 4pm (PST). TAXI #U140922ED

This is not only direct-to-supe, but being screened by the Music Coordinator personally (I always love those ones!), so here's hoping for the best!

Shane
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: EDM forward for TV show!

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:14 am

Awesome news, guys! I'll crank it up later tonight when I get home. Sounds like one that needs the BIG speakers!

~~Mat

shorttonpro
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shorttonpro » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:38 am

Great forward! The co-write works well with the vocals, production and section contrast. I'd even like to hear more of that kick :o

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:50 am

shorttonpro wrote:Great forward! The co-write works well with the vocals, production and section contrast. I'd even like to hear more of that kick :o
agree with all points in Scott's comment - more kick, and for me a touch more bottom on the kick - ya know that 65-90 hz region.

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies/advice, guys.

Yeah, honestly I kinda agree. I wouldn't mind hearing a little more kick myself. But I don't know if a remix is in the cards at this point since we actually already have this mix signed to a library anyway (nonexclusive, so we should be cool with this direct-to-supe opportunity).

But, of course, when this placement (wishful thinking) makes it a breakout hit because of the tv show and gets us signed to a label, that will be the perfect time to remix the,n LOL :lol: !
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

johncolumbo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johncolumbo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:47 am

Nice job and some cool EDM sensibilities in there Shane, congrats! :D
John Columbo
http://johncolumbo.com
http://www.taxi.com/johncolumbo
http://soundcloud.com/johncolumbo
It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. JRR Tolkien

dougamell

Post by dougamell » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:38 am

Way to go Shane! I can see why they forwarded it - very hooky - nice job :-)

Doug

https://soundcloud.com/doug-amell

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:47 am

shanegrla wrote:Thanks for the replies/advice, guys.

Yeah, honestly I kinda agree. I wouldn't mind hearing a little more kick myself. But I don't know if a remix is in the cards at this point since we actually already have this mix signed to a library anyway (nonexclusive, so we should be cool with this direct-to-supe opportunity).

But, of course, when this placement (wishful thinking) makes it a breakout hit because of the tv show and gets us signed to a label, that will be the perfect time to remix the,n LOL :lol: !
Congrats!
Good song (kick and bass sucks :shock: )

About that mix... if this is signed non-ex you can do whatever you want with this track...
so... FIX THAT KICK! (and the bottom end on the bass instruments)

Sorry to be so harsh, but this mix is simply anorexic. This song deserves some bottom end. Hope the supe doesn't pass on it because of that.

Good luck fellas! :D

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:26 pm

OK, so you guys spoke and I'm listening. I dug out the session with the intention of just moving a couple faders for what I thought was gonna be a quickie no-brainer remix. Turns out not so much. Due to a bunch of editing that was done back in the day (this song is about a year old), a bunch of the drum tracks are all out of place now. :? I won't bore you with the details, but it turns out I've got to practically completely reconstruct the midi tracks for the drums to recreate the arrangement I've got now. A big pain, yes, but all in the name of getting it right, right? :) Just gonna take significantly longer than I thought, however.

So hopefully in a day or so I should have a new mix to show you guys. Thanks for all the input!

Shane
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:49 pm

OK everybody, the new mix is up if anyone would care to check it out for further review.

I took Scott and Andy's advice and basically added some more low end to the kick and made it louder. Hopefully I didn't go too overboard there. I also took Russell's advice and pumped up the bass a bit too.

Gotta say I think it does sound way better now, especially when I A/B it with the old mix. Not that I didn't believe everybody on that -- I pretty much agreed with everyone from the start -- I just wasn't sure if it was worth remixing it since I was kinda considering it a "done deal" so to speak. But totally glad I did. It turned out to be more involved than I thought it would be, but I want the product to be great in the end.

Thanks again for all the advice, guys.

Shane
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007