Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Shameless Promotion for my 2014 Rally Classes

Post by Casey H » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:25 am

Hi all
I'll be teaching 2 classes at the rally this year, one is the music business intro class I did the past few years and the other is a new one on song structure. Here are the preliminary Taxi descriptions... Spread the word!!

Class #1 Title: Music Business Basics & The Terminology It Uses
Overwhelmed by the business side of music and all the terminology people use but you really aren’t sure about? This is a great “101” primer for the beginner or even the novice! Confused about copyrights, publishing, how we make money from our music, royalties, Film/TV deals, reversion, exclusive, non-exclusive, work-for-hire, etc? Casey Hurowitz, who has a track record of many music placements himself, is a TAXI member who has grown by leaps and bounds during his membership. He is a prolific contributor to the TAXI forum and is highly regarded by the legions of members who are hungry for the answers to their music business questions. Want to shave months, maybe years off your learning curve? Then join Casey to get all your questions answered in plain, easy-to-understand language (from a non-lawyer perspective).

Class #2 Title: Simple Song Structures That Sell!
Struggling to get more songs forwarded and attract the ears of A&R people? Often it’s all about structure and beginner songwriters (and some novices!) often miss the basics. Verses? Pre-Choruses? Choruses? Bridges? Casey Hurowitz, who has had many music placements and songs signed with music libraries, will talk about all those sections from both a musical and lyrical point of view. The class will listen to examples of popular songs and discuss what makes them tick as far as structure. Casey will also try to take CDs from the class and play some songs for discussion. So bring CDs and lyric sheets! Class participation strongly encouraged!

I taught the music business class the past few years and it was well received. I use a pretty comprehensive PowerPoint which is excellent reference material (if I must say so myself!).

The song structure class is tilted more to the beginning songwriter but all are welcome. I got the idea after looking at some songs or lyrics posted by beginners for P2P review on forum.

So please consider attending and let others know! I know how hard it is to choose what classes or panels to attend with so much going on at once!

Thanks! Hope to see you there!

:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Shameless Promotion for my 2014 Rally Classes

Post by shellsings » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Hey! Casey is a great teacher! You won't want to miss his classes, very educational!

Thanks for putting these together Casey!

singer1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by singer1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Casey is also an exceptional teacher when it comes to lyric writing. I think he could do a couple of classes on that alone. No more meandering for me.... ;) D.B.M.

... the only race we're in, is the human race... D.B.M.

www.taxi.com/davidbradleymau
www.davidbradleymau.com

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Hey Casey -

I'll be there this year. Any word on the time of your classes yet? Should be posted soon, yes?

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Here's a testimonial (of sorts) for Casey's classes.

Questions about the terminology and "business" come up a lot here in the forums... and "elsewhere." Casey's Drivers Ed class on this is focused and concise (and comes with handouts that you can write on)
Very good class if you are feeling fuzzy on the matter.

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks for the nice words, folks. :D

I'm excited about both the music biz class which I think is going on it's 3rd or 4th year and this new class on song structure, "Simple Song Structures That Sell!". In the song structure class, I will play examples of hit songs for analysis and hope to allow time to play some songs from the participants and discuss. So please bring CDs and lyric sheets if you attend! (I can't promise how the time parameters will work out).

I'll have summary materials (PowerPoint or Word format) for both classes. However, I will email that to participants on request since schlepping all that paper on the plane to LA is a bit difficult! I believe the materials are very worthwhile! If anyone leaves me a business card with the word "handout" or even a scrap paper with "handout" and their email address, I'll follow up. Not selling anything or collecting email addresses for any purpose. :)

Looking forward to seeing many of you... :)

bobporri
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bobporri » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Casey,

I'll be making a point of attending at least one of your classes this year. See you at the Rally.

Bob P.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Casey I plan on checking them out should be a great learning experience. Way different than what I do as a job Special ed teacher.

I know I will learn a lot

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks to all those who attended one or both of my classes! It was a pleasure having you! I hope you enjoyed and got something out of it!

If anyone would like a copy of my PowerPoints from my 2014 rally classes, here are links...

MUSIC BUSINESS & TERMINOLOGY:
http://www.caseysongs.com/publicfiles/M ... y_2014.ppt

SONG STRUCTURE:
http://www.caseysongs.com/publicfiles/S ... e_2014.ppt

If you don't have PowerPoint on your computer and need the material in Word format just drop me a note.