So Psyched for Road Rally!!

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Curtsong
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

So Psyched for Road Rally!!

Post by Curtsong » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:27 pm

I've been working (GIGGING as I feel lucky to be doing what I love) like a beaver making that $$$$ to pay for this supped up Road Rally. I'm very excited. I feel it's the best investment I've made in myself in a long time. (Next to all the music gear and software I've purchased over the years. :)

I won't be able to bring my guitar with me. But, I want to make sure I come prepared. What do any of the members who have previously attended in the past recommend? I've got my website and SoundCloud and CDs from my release last year. I'll come with my iPad and computer for notes.

Looking forward to meeting some members!! Wish you the best and safe travels.
Scott Curts
http://www.taxi.com/scottcurts
http://www.scottcurts.com

"Nothing happens until something moves" ~ Einstein

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: So Psyched for Road Rally!!

Post by Tim_Behrens » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Hey there. I'm pretty psyched to be attending for the first time, too. I know what you mean. Feels good to be investing in myself and making an effort to learn more about something that I've loved for so many years. Regarding what to bring, I asked a similar question here:

http://forums.taxi.com/topic72927.html

Lots of good answers and links to other threads in the replies.

I'm listening to your music right now. Sounds great. Hope to cross paths with you at the Rally. Just look for the guy with a left-handed guitar and a similar hair cut (we could pass for brothers). Safe journeys to you.

Tim
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

Curtsong
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Curtsong » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:27 am

Thank you Tim! Greatly appreciate the link. My first time as well. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can. I keep getting so close with forwards but no placements yet. I wish you well, and look forward to meeting you at the Rally.

Best regards!
Scott Curts
http://www.taxi.com/scottcurts
http://www.scottcurts.com

"Nothing happens until something moves" ~ Einstein

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:38 am

My first rally, I remember being a bit overwhelmed with the whole thing. My advice is to not try and cram too much in at once. Kind of like trying to do all of Disney World in one day.

My two pieces of advice;

First, work toward building real friendships. Most, if not all, of my success from Taxi has come via the friends I've made at the Rally.

Second, really think about one or two things you want to learn, and be very specific. Just saying "I want to network" might leave you walking around kind of lost. Who do you want to meet? Why do you want to meet them, what do you have to learn from them..... Really nail it down to one or two things. Then research and study the classes and talks, bios... and find ones that fit into those two specific goals. There is so much great info going on, you can get lost running from class to class to class. The weekend is cram packed with opportunities and education and discussions and energy. It's good to have a compass going in.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers
kc
Last edited by kclements on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks for the great advice, kc. Truth be told, I'm not even there yet and already feeling a little overwhelmed. lol. I'm excited, but it feels like a whole new world that I'll be stepping into. Really looking forward to meeting some of the forum folks, making new friends, learning, playing some music.
Hope to see you there,

Tim
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:35 pm

kclements wrote:My first rally, I remember being a bit overwhelmed with the whole thing. My advice is to not try and cram too much in at once. Kind of like trying to do all of Disney World in one day.

My two pieces of advice;

First, work toward building real friendships. Most, if not all, of my success from Taxi has come via the friends I've made at the Rally.

Second, really think about one or two things you want to learn, and be very specific. Just saying "I want to network" might leave you walking around kind of lost. Who do you want to meet? Why do you want to meet them, what do you have to learn from them..... Really nail it down to one or two things. Then research and study the classes and talks, bios... and find ones that fit into those two specific goals. There is so much great info going on, you can get lost running from class to class to class. The weekend is cram packed with opportunities and education and discussions and energy. It's good to have a compass going in.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers
kc
although - it is fair to say "I am just going to check out what happening" if its the first time and you don't feel in a "hurry" to be connected with everyone overnight. Not that you should waste your time, but most of the TAXI peeps who go to the rally have been there a number of times, and the relationships and friendships that Kayle talks of happen over time (just like any friendship).

I guess its best to be prepared (have your cards and your sample CD's and know which classes you might like to attend) and then just be open to what happens.

This will be my 4th - looking forward to seeing you all.