with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

any recommendations for XLR mic cable ?

Post by songmaster » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:45 am

Hey everyone

I just bought a AKG 220 condenser microphone and I am wondering which XLR cable is the best to plug into my Audiobox interface. I have scanned the internet and a few names popped up, like " Mogami Gold Neglex Quad " and " Gotham GAC-4 " and also, they say it is best to have "Switchcraft or Neutrick " connectors. I would rather have a good quality cable that will reduce any noise but also will last a long time. I'm looking in the 40 to 60 dollar range ( or higher if need be ).

There are so many products out there, it is hard to know which way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

JAMRecording
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: any recommendations for XLR mic cable ?

Post by JAMRecording » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:36 pm

Are you handy with a soldering gun? Making your own is a solid route if you are. It's really hard to say what's best though. I'm sure everyone here who has been recording long enough has gone through just about every popular brand. Currently I'm using Mogami for our studio cabling and I'm very happy with it. Most cables you will find in the local music store have a "guarantee". Buy what you can afford and if it sounds bad, bring it back and demand a new one. I've done it more than once. Personally, I would avoid is monster cable. I've never had one of them in the studio that didn't raise my blood pressure.

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks JamRecording

I did notice that a lot of people were making their own cables, but it's not something I'm into. Actually, after not getting much resonse for this thread, I decided to bite the bullet and I bought a " Mogami Gold Cable " on ebay for about 50 bucks. SO I'm glad that you suggested the same. I am just waiting for it's delivery and I guess the only way I'll know how good it is, is to try it out.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Tom

MJRivard
Active
Active

Post by MJRivard » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:01 pm

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year,
I make my own cables also. I use Beldon " Brilliance " cable model-1192A. It has a braid shield with 2 pairs of wires. The 2 pairs are a blue / blue with stripe & white / white with stripe. The outer jacket comes in 6 different colours. ( colors - American ) The extra pair helps with reducing noise. The outer PVC jacket is flexible and allows the cable to lay flat. I use them also for live sound work and found them to stay flexible even when cold. You can buy the cable in different lengths, so you could make the cables as long as you need for your setup. I like the Neutrik MX & MXX XLR connectors. They are easy to work with, and provide a good grip on the cable without damaging the cable.

I hope this info helps those who like to build their own cables. I also use Beldon 8723 cable for line level hookup. It is a 2 pair, each foil shielded, with common shield wire. I use them for balanced and unbalanced signals. They are also good for insert cables. One pair is for the ' send ', the other for ' return '. A ' TRS ' at one end, going to 2 ' TS ', for send and return.

- Myran