My Thank You Letter

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

My Thank You Letter

Post by Tim_Behrens » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

I don't know how to actually send this, so I've opted to just post it here in hopes that Michael happens by, and as a public testament to what an incredible weekend this was.

--------

Dear Michael,

I was a Taxi member a number of years ago, got one forward, but didn't feel like I had enough of a library to submit on a regular basis (I realize now I should have still used the feedback to get better while building that library). When my membership expired, I continued to participate in the forums, watch Taxi TV, work on my craft, hoping some day I would gather enough music to make the membership count. Every year since, I've wanted to rejoin and attend the rally, but kept making excuses. The biggest were "I don't have the time or money". This year, I realized that I'll probably never feel like I have the time or money, and that if I care even a little bit about this musical dream of mine, I just need to do it.

In perspective, the cost of the membership is minuscule when compared to what it costs to attend most music conferences, and I thought (worst case) I would rather be disappointed than continue to wonder year after year what it is that I'm missing out on.

The rally is behind me now, I'm back home in Kansas City, and I have a stack of business cards about three inches thick on my desk. They aren't just random names of people who I passed for a moment in the hallway. Every one them represents a great conversation: like-minded artists, new friends from around the world who I met that very first day in line, people who inspired me through their music and their stories, industry professionals who were incredibly gracious with their time and advice, forum members who struggled with the same questions and reservations at one point, and who are now shining examples of how far Taxi can propel you in your career. It's going to take me a while, but I want to reach out to all of them and continue those conversations.

I also have a notebook filled with handouts, with my notes on recording, mixing, arranging. I have pages of tips for navigating the business, building relationships with libraries, ideas for how to approach my art as a business, sidestep mistakes that could have cost me years of time. I have links to websites where I can hear the things that are having success, books that I bought directly from the authors themselves, a brand new Gauge mic that I'm so excited to try. I learned so much this last weekend, but I feel like it's going to pale in comparison to the months that follow as I absorb and go through all of these things I never would have found on my own.

While chatting with one of my new friends, who was attending his fourth rally, I commented "This is really kind of like a reunion to you, isn't it...", to which he replied "Most definitely... and a celebration." I didn't need clarification on that, because I was already celebrating that I found such a supportive community of people, all helping each other, all understanding the ups and downs of this business, and all wanting to see each other succeed. It's not really a secret what a magical event you've created, but it kind of is, isn't it? You just can't know until you're there.

Last thing I want to say. Some time on the first day, I stuck my head in the Grand Ballroom while things were being set up, saw you moving chairs, grabbing boxes, pitching in wherever you could. With someone in your position contributing in all those little ways, it became so crystal clear to me how much this means to you, how much you care about all these people you've brought together, and that Taxi isn't just about the success of Taxi as a company, it's about the growth of it's members, and of a community where just about anything can happen. (and has)

Even if I were to quit submitting tomorrow (I won't), you will forever have my profound thanks for this experience. If anyone ever questions the legitimacy of what Taxi does, says "it's too expensive" or "it's just a scam", feel free to send them my way. I'd love to have the conversation and see if I can set them straight.

Sincerely grateful,

Tim Behrens
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: My Thank You Letter

Post by funsongs » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:12 am

Well written, and even an encouragement to one who hopes to attend the next one.
No funds = no fun; dang it. :? :cry:
Cheers,
Peter
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Robtoons
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Robtoons » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:04 am

Well said Tim!
It was great to meet you there live and in person.
The taxi folk feel like family to me, and the rally never ceases to amaze! I was finally able to chat with Michael in person this year, and as I already knew, he really is one of the good guys.
Cheers! -Rob

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Great to meet you, too, Rob. I know I'm going to be more active around here now, and am already counting the days until next year's Rally. Hope to see you there next time, Peter. And looking forward to interacting with you here at the boards.
--Tim Behrens

bobporri
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bobporri » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Tim,

Glad to have met you. Great letter. Way profound. Great music from you also.

Bob P.

Sbuckner1115
Active
Active

Post by Sbuckner1115 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey Tim,

It was a pleasure to meet you at the Rally this past weekend. I really enjoyed listening to your music!

Best,

Steven

AlexanderFox
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlexanderFox » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Well said, Tim. You expressed very eloquently what many of us are thinking. Great to meet you this weekend and so glad I got to hear you play during open mic.

Peace
Alexander Fox
Your Latin music guy

http://www.alexanderfoxmusic.com

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:03 pm

write on Tim!

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:48 am

Thank you friends. So great to see you all here, to know that I had the opportunity to meet you in person, and will hopefully be running into you online, at the forums, and at the next rally.
--Tim Behrens

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:43 am

Hi Tim

What a great letter! The Rally IS like a reunion and celebration and education all rolled into one! This was my fifth Rally, and it really is the highlight of my year.

Cheers