What was the best part of Rally 2014 for you?

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: What was the best part of Rally 2014 for you?

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:28 am

deankripp wrote:But I think the very best part of the Rally for me is quite simply "the people." From Michael Laskow (and staff) at the very top to the brand newest member - and everyone else in between - this is truly a unique and inspiring community.
+1
:D Casey

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:27 am

Hey Casey,

Pity we didn't get to chat a bit more - next time.

Best thing you learned?
Hard to say exactly, but I feel I got some really good nuggets specific to my situation and approach at the Mentoring Lunches. I've yet to scour all my notes. When I get back to Ireland I'll be implementing everything. One that comes to mind is for people operating in different genres - there seemed to be some consensus (not 100%) on jack-of-all-trades guys being less attractive for placements than actual bands with backstories etc - that's something I had worried about and I think its very interesting and understandable perhaps. It presents problems - but also work-arounds of course ;)

Best takeaway?
New friends, and possible collabs. I left the towels alone - I didn't have room in my suitcase :lol:

Best experience(s)?
I can't lie - it was Adam Zelkind and the attendees enjoying my music. I was almost shaking when it was picked out. That gives me confidence that I need badly.
Apart from that, I did get a lot out of the classes, but enjoying the company of kindred souls and finally meeting forum buds was so, so great.

Best class or panel?
Loved Ronan Chris Murphy's bubbly and insightful classes. Enjoyed Fett's too. Was kicking myself I didn't put in a CD for the Ballroom panel shows too - how cool it was to see so many Taxi members having success with theirs. Also, Adam Zelkind's class was great. I spoke to him and Bianca for a while afterwards, which almost resulted in me attending the AFM gig in Santa Monica but unfortunately I couldn't swing it. I told them I'd be sending them adoption papers ASAP.

Best new (professional or peer) relationship? (No actual library/publisher/sup names please)
Couldn't say right now - time will tell - though I have some good feelings about some particular songwriting connections and wil get down to contacting some of the library guys in due course. I need to devote more time to songs - and I will now.

Most fun?
John 'The Boy' Lewitt if we're talking about Taxi members. Sorry everyone but John you are a riot - I was expecting a reasonably straight-laced Canadian for some reason. Got that one wrong eh?? :lol:
Fett, Chris Murphy and Zelkind were very naturally funny guys.

Every day was immense fun. Definitely longer nights than I imagined. But I'm Irish so that comes naturally for better or worse.

Nice to meet Michael too and give thanks.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:40 am

I probably shouldn't have used the word "best"... Just meant the highlights, things/experiences that stood out as great, etc... "Best" is still OK though if you have "bests"!

:D Casey

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:48 am

Ah yeah I know , its all good. That's what I was assuming. I don't have bests in fairness. That's impossible. That's for the Olympics :)

Cheers Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Sorry we didn't get to chat, Gareth!

:) Casey

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:12 pm

To be honest I think the big reason we didn't chat enough was that I took one look at all these accomplished guitarists on the couches and decided I needed to get the hell outta there :) - it reminded me how its nice to have some of my own tunes in order. I'm not a performance guy but next time out I'll have a couple rehearsed hopefully so I can join in.

Next time bud
Gar

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:16 pm

denalihighway wrote:To be honest I think the big reason we didn't chat enough was that I took one look at all these accomplished guitarists on the couches and decided I needed to get the hell outta there :) - it reminded me how its nice to have some of my own tunes in order. I'm not a performance guy but next time out I'll have a couple rehearsed hopefully so I can join in.

Next time bud
Gar
I woulda hung out with you. I play guitar but not so "accomplished"!! I had my guitar with me. Hope you'll be back next year.

:) Casey

billhewett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by billhewett » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks for posting these questions, Casey!

I had a great first Road Rally, and I left with only one regret: I think I talked a little bit too much in your "Basic Song Structures" class... sorry about that :)

But, to answer the questions:

Best thing you learned? Recording/Mixing techniques and tricks in Fett's class and Ronan's class.

Best takeaway? Popular music doesn't change very much over time or between genres. This was brilliantly demonstrated in Ronan's Sunday morning class, and further augmented in Casey's Song Structure class.

Best experience(s)? Getting one of my team's songs played for the Music Library Panel in the grand ballroom. Nobody wanted the track, but they all said the song was solid and they gave useful feedback on what was wrong with the production.

Best class or panel? Ronan's Sunday morning class.

Best new (professional or peer) relationship? (No actual library/publisher/sup names please) I'll tell you at next year's rally, when I know which relationships last. For now I'll say I was most excited about meeting James Kocian after realizing that we went to the same summer camp for boys with Type 1 Diabetes!

Most fun? Just watching it all go down was pretty amazing... seeing how hard Michael (and his whole team) works to keep everything moving along was really exciting, and added to my appreciation of how much energy he puts in to everything he does for us!

Can't wait for next year's Rally... hopefully I'll have more time to spend on the board this year so I can take the time to meet more of you in person :)

-Bill

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm going to have to say EVERYTHING!

I knew what I wanted to learn this year and I had a plan of attack (as opposed to last year when I was a deer in headlights). The fact that I didn't get to sleep every night until the clock was reading AM and I still made it to every 9:00 class (and all the others throughout the day) is proof positive of all the different, invaluable experiences the Rally has to offer.

I had dinner on the Sunday night with an Irishman, a Norwegian, 3 Americans and myself, who is a Canadian. Which just goes to show you how music can bring people together.

I didn't want the event to end - which is why I was part of the group playing guitar in the Lobby at 4:00 AM Monday morning (with my new friend Gareth, who is younger than me! See previous post).

John

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:55 pm

Meeting all the great people ,an ongoing surplus of musical learning skills and an offer from a music library rep. what a great time

Ron :D
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org