What was the best part of Rally 2014 for you?

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What was the best part of Rally 2014 for you?

Post by HectorRContreras » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:18 pm

admin wrote: Knowing I am just 5 days away from a day off.
Came home sick today. I must have shaken one too many hands. Thanks again for coming y'all!
Michael
Dearest Michael,

We wish you to regain strength and energy. Get well soon. And make the most of your Week End. Time to relax and to take it easy.
Job well done !

Energy for Michael .png
Energy for Michael .png (245.14 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

Hookjaw Brown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Hookjaw Brown » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Just the shear joy and excitement put forth by the teachers (Suzan Koc can be lively - even at 9 AM) kept me on the edge of my seat. My brain hurt by Sunday.

Standing in line, conversing with all the attendees, drinking Rock Star (delivered by Michael) and getting Dean K as a mentor to speak with for such a short time.

Meeting many times with a jazz/EDM writer who uses a new instrument (Akai E-WI) that a sax player (me) can use to play all the horn sections.

The open mic on Saturday was just one exceptional performer after another, playing original music. Impossible to see anywhere (IMHO).

Going to start saving up for next year. Nowhere else can one hang with such a talented group of high class, funny, imaginative, creative people!
Hookjaw

"I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left". - Seasick Steve

http://www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NathanNasby » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:08 am

So many amazing things happened this year at the rally, but I gotta say one of the top things was actually getting to me YOU! :) It was great hanging out and getting to finally get to know you a bit. To me the rally is obviously something I do for the music biz stuff, but for the most part it has quickly become about the amazing people that I meet every year, and you were one of those people I'm very grateful have met.

~ Nathan
http://www.taxi.com/chameleon

You can't make music fun..... It is fun! You can however make it a drag.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:17 am

It was great meeting and getting to know you too Nathan! :D :D This is what it's all about, getting to know your peers and forming long lasting collaborative relationships. Looking forward to working with you!

:) Casey

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:30 am

highlights this year:

great new classes

michael laskow's relentless energy

meeting maureen crowe (thanks chuck schlacter for the introduction!)

hanging with garry smith's (jamhouse) very talented students from australia. so much fun being around youngster musicians just embarking on their careers...takes me back.

hanging with great friends/peers i already knew.

getting to know other taxi folks i had only known through forums or their established fame

room near elevator/ice machine

everybody buying me beers

PeterD
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Location: Formerly Somerset/Swansea, MA ... Currently, San Jose, CA

Post by PeterD » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:22 pm

OK, here are my comments as promised ... :D

So... What was the best part of the rally for you in 2014?

Best thing you learned? I think leaning how to listen and to give the one speaking their chance and time. Also, we were all in the same position at some point and it was nice to relive some of my “freshmen” experiences with a few new people, and lend a hand up.

Best takeaway? I’d have to say, LESS is SO MUCH more! I tend to get carried away with wanting to add all kinds of “bells and whistles” (too many effects, conflicting melodies, and unnecessary tracks) to my music, which ultimately becomes a liability.

Best experience(s)? I must say, having complete strangers approach me to tell me how much they love my stuff on SC was a real joy. I’m incredibly appreciative!! It’s the reason I make this stuff. Any money, should it come, will be a bonus. I would have worn my t-shirt that says, “My next Album will go Aluminum”, but it’s a little beat up.

The moments with all my Facebook & Forum buds (older and brand new) were what I missed most from last year … Hangin’ and chatting with (in NO particular order) … Owen Chaim, Russell Landwehr, Matt Vander Boegh, Andy Gabrys, Gavin Knowles, Michael Jones, James Carvalho, Richard Dance, Garry Smith, John Mazzei, Josh Coleman, Michelle Lockey, Michelle Murray, Kylce Kniceley, Juliet Padou, Wenda Williamson, Allen DeSomer, Robert Hamilton, Jeff Greenleaf, Dave Walton, Ethan Okamura, Richard Emmet, Pedro Costa , Seth Littlefield, Dean Krippaehne, Scott & Cathy Saraniero, FM Cossey, Michael Jones, Ron Schultz, Smudge Swann, Nathan Nasby, Lydia Ashton, Steven Guiles, Rob Carroll, Diona Devincenzi, Vince Constantino, Michael Steimel (and Fletcher), Ronan Chris Murphy, Rich Martens, Bob Porri, David Hayes, Robbie Hancock, Shane Searles, Jerry Brunkala, Louise Goldberg, Bob Crow, Jenna Laurise Ehrle, Nitanee Paris, Ron Sarja, Charles Hurowitz, Terry Blackwell, Mike Barresi, Keef Lou Grant, Neil Zimmerman, Robert “Cass” McEntee, Steve Yanko, Jen Armstrong, Alyse Black, Patty Boss, CK Barlow, The Land of Deborah, and of course, Graham McRae, in spirit. Oh man, I truly hope I didn’t leave anyone out (and spelled everyone’s name correctly). It was an honor!! :D

Washing my hands next to M. Laskow in the men’s room, as light music played in the background asking, “Will there be a listing for this kind of stuff soon?” ha! :lol: Meals with the boys and girls, getting in everyone's face with my camera, the instantly HOT shower water, The 50 minute plane ride, and my filled eyes when it came time to leave (that validated everything). :D

Best class or panel? I’d have to say Ronan’s Sunday AM class on the similarities of hit songs - (Production Tricks for Major Impact). I told myself I only wanted to check out a little of it until the ballroom class began, but couldn’t pry myself away once it started. The 5 year plan was also a good one, AND a reality check.

Best new (professional or peer) relationship? (No actual library/publisher/sup names please) Hmmm, since I can’t name them, I’ll have to keep those to myself. Let the magic begin!

If I log off, I may never be able to get back on ;)

Peter D'Angelo

http://www.taxi.com/peterd
https://soundcloud.com/moanakeiki

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:02 pm

rdance wrote:michael laskow's relentless energy
Having Rockstar Energy Drinks as a sponsor always helps! :lol: :lol:

;) Casey

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Best thing you learned?
My mentor told me how to tailor my songs for certain groups, e.g., take the vocals out for one, highlight the melody, etc, and then have these versions ready for different opportunities. I hadn't considered that for older songs especially, but he pointed this out about a song I wrote in the mid-1990s.

Best takeaway?
I guess all of the business cards and CDs I got from other artists. It was great to meet so many people who had different talents! We can all use help of various kinds at some point down the road. I'm happy to help others and it's great to know so many out there would do the same.

Best experience(s)?
Going to the panel and being able to give my CD to one of the panelists who was looking for work such as what I do. She didn't ask me for it, but was very gracious in telling a perfect stranger with a CD that she'd listen to it and let me know what she thinks.

Best class or panel?
The one I mentioned above. It was on Sunday, but I can't remember the name of it.

Best new (professional or peer) relationship? (No actual library/publisher/sup names please)
There were two that stand out above the rest: My mentor, who emailed me after returning home to give me MORE advice, a few of the people I met and how we've followed up with each other. :-)

Most fun?
Hanging out at the bar networking with new friends, attending the Open Mics, and seeing a few friends I have in L.A. during some down time. All great!

JamesCarvalho
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JamesCarvalho » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:44 am

wow last year was blah for me as my first year..
but this year was threw the roof i'm met so many cool people. i know so many people now i really feel like
i belong.

ronans class was the highlight for me .. i had dozen of "ah ha " moments.

but one of my biggest heroes (a staff member/ mentor at the lunch) who i wont mention names..
was very disappointing and just mean.. it might have been bad timing but i WAS excited to meet him.
i will definitely stay far from that guy as my name is now MUD to him.. lol

but this rally was epic for me.. being back in the music business after 10 years is monumental ..
as some might know its not about the money FOR ME .. its about music and my bucket list.

so many wonderful people took the time to talk to me and i'm bless for that.. :D
Freelance Composer, Singer/Songwriter, Artist