From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Rally 2014: A Love Affair

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:43 pm

robbiejhancock wrote:Michelle,

I am so glad you posted this, and for a guy who has been lost for so long and had that isolated feeling, Taxi has just opened up a whole new world of support and encouragement that I have been looking for for a very long time. For someone who has just come back for rally number two, I can fully support everything that Michelle has said here and in a small way I am starting to see such a beautiful future in this business and a ton of new friends in an awesome welcoming community. Taxi is for real people and if you have the courage to step out of your comfort zone, it will be the best thing you ever did for your music.

Michelle you are an inspiration to me and many others and congratulations on all your success so far! You guys were great on Taxi TV! :)

Thanks Robbie!

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:45 pm

beesea wrote:Thanks for posting, Michelle! I wouldn't say melodramatic, just very real. I think any of us who have been to the rally multiple times knows how you feel. I actually had to leave as the last pitch panel was starting. Not that I was in a hurry to get to the airport, I just didn't want to be there to see the weekend officially 'end'. So yeah, I wrote a bunch of lists at the airport instead. :)

thanks Bob! Lists can be good! and yeah I left before the song as well too sad...

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Robtoons wrote:Great post Shell!
I couldn't agree more, this was my 2nd rally, and I felt like I was attending the best family reunion ever!
Yeah, Taxi's for real allright, but not in that that "get rich quick" kind of way that so many are trying to find. It becomes obvious after hanging around awhile that it takes time to get somewhere, to learn the language, meet people and make genuine connections, all the while improving your craft and knowledge of the industry. The amount of work you are wiling to put in has a massive impact on how far you can go, and Michelle you've really been putting in the effort and it shows!
Seeing your progress is a continuing source of inspiration!
See ya next year! -Rob

Thanks Rob! Great to see you again!!

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:47 pm

GoodLookingAnimals wrote:Thank you for posting this, Michelle. Anyone is invited to ask me if Taxi is a scam or not, I will be happy to vouch for it.

This was my 4th Rally, and with each one there has a dramatic increase in:
-The amount of fellow songwriters I know and am comfortable collaborating with and learning from
-The amount I know about the business
-The number of contacts I have in the actual music business (which 4 years ago was about 1 person)
-My comfort level and confidence as I exponentially know more people at the Rally who have a similar mindset as me
-My ability to write and produce music that actually has a demand for it on television!

The capper of my Rally weekend was the Panel at which my song was selected to be played for the entire ballroom, after which, the publisher on stage asked if he could sign it. I don't know of too many opportunities to get interfaced like that outside of Taxi. What a thrill!

With or without Taxi, you get out of the music business what you put in. Full participation in Taxi, Taxi TV, the forum and most of all, the Road Rally allows you to put in the efforts that actually get you somewhere. If you commit, you will grow and good things will happen. There is no easy button, and it doesn't happen fast, but "better" will happen based on what you put into it.

I'm a very grateful Taxi member and Rally "Lifer."
Tru Dat! and awesome on your song being played AND signed!!!

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:47 pm

BillPerry wrote:Great post, Michelle. I joined Taxi and came to my first Road Rally this year after you mentioned it at the SAW community day event this summer (re-joined, actually; I was a member 15 or so years ago). The Road Rally can really be transformative if you let it. At least I'll sure try!

Bill

Glad you came! BTW I am going to be starting up a local TAXI hang so I will be contacting you soon!

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:48 pm

rdance wrote:well said shell!

glad i am getting to know you better...you really demonstrate well to others how to dive into this weird, cool film/tv music world.

(remember our successful members panel in 2013? we were all so nervous! ha ha!)

ha! Yes I remember, I told all pretty much at that panel!

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Casey H wrote:The best family reunion ever!

And Shell, you are one of the reasons it's so much fun! Great seeing you and EVERYONE!!

:D Casey

Great seeing you too as always!

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 pm

I just thought it was really cool to sit at the foot of your Denny's breakfast table! :D

Yeah, this year (my second attendance) I totally got the whole family reunion vibe. I really didn't want it to end, but then how would we ever get any REAL work done, eh?

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Russell Landwehr wrote:I just thought it was really cool to sit at the foot of your Denny's breakfast table! :D

Yeah, this year (my second attendance) I totally got the whole family reunion vibe. I really didn't want it to end, but then how would we ever get any REAL work done, eh?

Russell

ha ha! I am so not the queen of the Denny's table.. all are welcome ;) it was great to see you in person and share a communal table at Denny's !

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:03 am

Hey Michelle,

I'm glad for your honest, warts 'n all post too as it echoes how I've been feeling.

Back in Ireland I can feel dreadfully isolated doing what I do. They are wonderfully supportive but even my best friends and family can struggle, understandably, to grasp the creative drive, and what I do on a weekly basis in music. They try, but I guess they just can't.

I traveled to San Diego after the Rally and though surrounded by partying 20-somethings, which was fun, I was struggling, and still am if I'm honest, with the inevitable comedown after something as spectacular as the Rally. That rollercoaster is part of the artistic soul I guess - when we're up it's mindblowing, when we're down its mindnumbing - and that's where music can come from. But like Russell says, we gotta get back to work and do what we love. The great thing is that there is no finality to any of it - there will be so much interaction now whether its on the forums or with collabs over email and skype etc. I feel an immense sense of community after the Rally. And hugely inspired and humbled by the enormous wealth of talent there.

I've never made any bones of the fact with anyone that knows me that keeping a handle on brain on a day to day basis has become harder since deciding music as a career was a goal. The anxiety, excitement, and pure adrenalin of doing something so overwhelmingly rewarding and difficult has made sleeping almost impossible at times! I've been working on a routine that minimizes mental reworking and remixing while my head is on the pillow as well as everything else :) - but its still all new to me and I'm learning how to deal with a life of uncertainty and I just have to remember how lucky I am to have music. There's times its almost felt like a noose round my neck preventing me from having a nice, stable existence - but seriously - f*ck that, right? :D

Sorry I missed you at the Rally. I met so many wonderful people - I would name them but don't want to leave anyone out. (thanks for the mention by the way Matt :) - right back at ya)

Well that's quite enough cr*p talk from me.

Bye for now y'all. See y'out there.
Gar