Electronic Funk Cue

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Electronic Funk Cue

Post by TheElement » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi guys, This is a weird one. Its a funky type electronic edm cue.

I need to eq the kick and replace a few sounds but its pretty much finished. I was wondering if I should start with a build? any ideas to make this a better cue?

I'm open to any feedback and would also like to know where this sort of cue might be used? Any ideas?

Thanks! 8-)

Electronic Funk Cue: https://soundcloud.com/the-element-studio/funky-town
Last edited by TheElement on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

leadsynth
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Funky Town (Electronic Funk)

Post by leadsynth » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 pm

I dig it! Nice build. Drums remind me of an 808, which to me is a good thing. I especially like 1:13.

This is nitpicky, but I think the cymbal that comes in at :17 is a little forced. Maybe just bring it down a little in the mix.

I think you should pick a different title than "Funky Town" since "Funkytown" is a well-known song and might have some bad disco associations for your listeners.

You say you are going to replace a few sounds. If you go for some aggressive synths you might be able to modernize this, which would make it an easier sell to music libraries, while retaining the old-school aspects of it.

I could see this underscoring a narrative video for a technology product. It would be perfect for a long-form cell phone commercial. The build suggests a network growing in size, and it gets more positive/productive as it goes. At 1:13 it's like "Yeah, everything's working how it's supposed to," and then the very end at 1:43 sort of zooms back in to where the network started, with "you." I think the way it's structured, it could pretty easily be cut down to a :30 commercial underscore.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Funky Town (Electronic Funk)

Post by TheElement » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks Maya for the feedback. Very helpful! Yes I need a new name so now just calling it Electronic Funk Cue for now.

Yes I also think the cymbal at :17 is a little hot in the mix. will turn that down. was thinking of maybe replacing it.

The underlying synth that comes in at :47 I might replace.

Need to clean up the snare hit and add some reverb.

Going to think up a better name. Never thought of a cell phone commercial for usage. Maybe will come up with a name that kinda says that but still in a retro way. I like the old school vibe but want to make it more current so it sells.

Thanks again! 8-)
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud