Ever had that one song you really believed in...

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Ever had that one song you really believed in...

Post by sguiles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 pm

...get forwarded?

Again, Taxi critiqued this song on SEVERAL returns last year.
At first I was upset, because I felt the performance was so amazing (for me). :)
The critiques really weren't as much about the performance as the arrangement.
Taxi suggested I add another instrument to fill out the sound.

Lo and behold, after doing this, it got forwarded, several times.
I also recently had it licensed to a Canadian network promo with a nice sync fee included.

Taxi works, people! You just have to do the work. The hard work of making changes to your darlings.
Usually my motto is Write Submit Forget Repeat, but something about this song kept bringing me back, and I'm glad I followed through with the advice given by my wise screeners.

So, thanks Taxi Screeners!

The song: https://soundcloud.com/newcoolnowmusic/ ... scenes2014

Here's the listing:
U141020IF

EMOTIONAL, AIRY, and INTROSPECTIVE CONTEMPORARY INDIE FOLK SONGS with Male and/or Female Vocals are needed by the Music Supervisor of an Award-winning Cable TV Show for use in the end credits. He’s eager to find emotionally touching Down-to-Mid-Tempo Songs in the general stylistic ballpark of acts like Bon Iver, Daughter, S. Carey, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following reference songs to get you in the moody wheelhouse of the sound she needs: “Holocene” by Bon Iver “Still” by Daughter “Fire-Scene” by S. Carey Quoting the Supe: “I want dreamy, lo-fi, and obviously acoustic styled Indie Folk songs with a delicate vocal performance. Lyrics should be touching and emotional. Songs should have a nice intro and build as it goes from verse, per-chorus, to chorus. Instrumentation should be stylized in a similar context as the referenced songs – so soft percussion or drums that accent the delicate feel of the song is best. Vocal harmonies would be nice, but not a huge necessity.” Submit organic sounding songs with captivating melodic lines, compelling hooks, and a chorus that delivers an emotional connection to the audience. Instrumentation should sound authentically acoustic, like a real Indie artist. An intimate vocal performance that’s able to get the hair on your arms to stand up, with a delivery that’s honest, believable, and sincere will be best. Universal lyrics are needed for this pitch, so please avoid references to specific names, dates, times, places, brands, and profanity. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). The estimated license fee for this use is $500 - $1,000. This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% of your Publishing and Master rights, plus you’ll keep 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control 100% of the Copyright and Master to pitch for this opportunity. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists or any other artists that has covered these pieces in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and vibe. All Songs will be screened on a Yes/No basis by the Music Coordinator working directly on the show. No full critiques. Please submit 1-3 Songs no later than 11am (PDT), on Monday, October 20th, 2014. TAXI #U141020IF
Steven Wesley Guiles | FB | Taxi | Tweety | NewCoolNow |

"You can't wait for inspiration.
You have to go after it with a club."
— Jack London

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Ever had that one song you really believed in...

Post by kclements » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:05 am

Nice cue Steven. Congrats on the placement.

So often we spend so much time with our cues, we don't want to hear some outsider telling us to fix this or change that. What do they know about it after all? They didn't work countless hours to get it just right. They just don't understand....

But I've learned that listening to outside advice and acting ( and sometimes not acting) on it can make a huge difference. Cheers to you for not giving up on the cue, putting in some more work and getting it out there working for you.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sguiles » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks Kayle!

I think the area were I was smart was I did NOT change my original performance at all. This was a one take acoustic guitar and lead vocal that anchored the whole thing.

I think I sensed the performance to be genuine and heartfelt and knew that if I tried to replicate it, I'd never get it the same again. So, I added some layers subtle background vocals, a bit of banjo, reverb, etc..

Sometimes you've got to fight a bit for your songs, I think.
And sometimes you gotta let 'em go.

This time I had the correct instinct to stick with it.
:)

— Jack London

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am

Great post and I'm glad it worked out for you. Congrats.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:09 am

Cool, Steven.

Yeah, I've had that. A screener says why they didn't forward, giving suggestions for the fix. And I'm like yeah whatever... but then I make the fix and it gets forwarded the next time. Huh!

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

AdrianaLycette
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AdrianaLycette » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:21 am

Woohoo! Congrats! Great song!

So true about the screener suggestions too. :-)
Adriana

ScottFree4All
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ScottFree4All » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:38 am

Big congrats Steven,

I don't always agree about the "wise screeners." I have found that is only half the battle. Sometimes I have to step back and actually absorb what they say so I can be "wise" also - and obviously you did that. It's so easy to read a critique quickly and get upset. But after the pain and frustration of the moment dies down it's sometimes really cool to read old returns. Many times they are saying things that just didn't register properly the first time around. I've found this to be true more often than not. And it's also a good way of learning how to actually "read" the listing, because many times we all just send a otherwise good song in for a listing that is not "on target."

Either way - nice story - and great song. Your voice is wonderful in it and I especially like the way the double track enhanced the emotion. Continued success my friend. :)

Cheers,
Scott

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:39 am

Good story & report. :D
Cheers!
Peter
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sguiles » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks guys and gals!

And Scott, yeah, I agree. I definitely don't always agree with the screeners, but, if I do as you suggest, and go back and really READ the critique, I can usually find a kernel of truth (and sometimes it's WAY bigger than a kernel) to make adjustments to my song.

— Jack London

digital1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by digital1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Congrats, Steven! And thanks for the words of wisdom. It sure is hard to rework these tunes that we think are perfect, but sometimes they just need that little something extra!

Jerry