Antiquated Piano - mixing suggestions please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

divinorivera
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Antiquated Piano - mixing suggestions please

Post by divinorivera » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:11 am

Visited my father-in-law who had this antiquated acoustic piano. Then I thought of recording it on-the spot for this song (I've posted this song previously on guitar). Just one thing I like is that it sounds real piano but I am worried if it is broadcast quality. I wonder what tweak you guys can advise me if I would have to keep it. Or should I totally replace with just mere keyboard and try to mix it to sound more acoustic? My wife played piano here so there's quite relational value :) So here's the piano version:
https://soundcloud.com/divinorivera/us-raw-piano

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Antiquated Piano - mixing suggestions please

Post by nick.moxsom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:37 am

Nice song.

The piano sounds great, but to my ears, your vocal is almost too slick and clean. Don't get me wrong – you have a nice voice, but somehow the piano pulls at my heartstrings where your vocal doesn't. I guess singing it a whole octave down is too low, in which case I would try cigarettes and whisky ;) And get so close to the mic that you can sing it with less breath. Just my thoughts, so feel free to ignore them.

I also personally found the repeats of 'not giving up' at the end of each chorus could be halved. I guess my traditionalist head is waiting for you to resolve to the G major, so maybe I'm just being old-fashioned.

Maybe a female harmony on the choruses to add definition...?

None of the above are 'shoulds' – merely 'coulds'. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Best,
Nick

Geno
Active
Active

Post by Geno » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 pm

I love the sound of the older piano and the vocal has a really nice quality. If I were mixing this song, I believe I would try less FX on the piano and vocal to help them sit a little more forward in the mix. To my ears the FX make the piano and vocal sound a little muddy and buried in the mix. Hope this helps.

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 am

The piano works and has it's own charm, which is unique (and you always want to be unique!). I would remix the song though as the vocal is too slick/modern in relation.

I use Nectar 2 for vocal effects and they have several settings that can make my vocals sound old/classic/vintage. If you have similar tools I'd experiment with them.

John

divinorivera
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by divinorivera » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:27 am

Nick/Geno/John/All,
Thanks for listening and reviewing. Now, I am divided as to what to do with the mix. You all have great suggestions - yes, that slick/modern, thank you.

I also thought if this would be close to Great Big World's "Say Something"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVgixOjGhVU
Am I on the right direction?