ProTools or Logic?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: ProTools or Logic?

Post by kclements » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:52 am

DWMusic wrote:Thank you Andy, Kayle and RockChild.
I think I'll stick with PT 11 for now since I've had about 2 years with it. Work flow is shaping up. I wouldn't want to go backwards at this point until I get that 'Hit' and have more time on my hands ;)
I think workflow is often overlooked as one of our most valuable resources. We are attracted to the newest, shiny DAW or plugin. But it takes time to learn how to use that new plug - time that might be better spent writing.

Until you hit a wall and there is absolutely no way to get your music "correct" with your current tools, I think we are better served spending our time in other ways than buying new gear and chaining workstations.....

cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TimWalter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Kayle
(and Andy and others)...
Thanks for your comments.

I use Studio One Pro. It's pretty much a DAW newcomer, and fairly scarce on the ground re: users, but its gotten some wonderful reviews, like Sound on Sound, etc. I just fell into it...I didnt know anyone really in the recording community to advise me, and my Sweetwater guy recommended it (they had some special on it), so I went. It does everything I need, and has some cool features (I think the native integration of melodyne is relatively unique, but I might be wrong).

Now that I am building a new studio and hope to have more actual clients (collaboraters and even paying clients.. even if its low dollars), I have been considering switching for a reason completely unrelated to performance.... I am a pretty perceptive individual, and I have noticed a hand ful of times when I meet local folks in the state, and I mention I have a small studio, and they ask what DAW I use, invariably I get sniffed down their noses that it isn't Pro Tools. I know Pro Tools is the standard, but as I understand it, it is also the most expensive and new versions are expensive (as a comparison, Studio One upgraded from 32 bit to 64 bit with a free upgrade). I think it is a poor reason to switch, for the prestige factor, but I am stil thinking about it. I do not look forward to having to learn a brand new daw (Pro Tools). Not to hi-jack the thread, but any thoughts on the need to be with Pro Tools for the prestige factor?

Tim
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:41 am

Hi Dan

I started out on Tracktion. I loved it and it worked for me.
In 2013 I got Logic Pro x and man was it loaded with stuff.
I love it.
So I would say whatever works for you

Don

DWMusic
Active
Active

Post by DWMusic » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:20 pm

I hear ya! I think I'll stick with Protools for now.
Thanks for all of the comments.
Dan Walker
Singer/Songwriter, Multi-Instrumentalist

www.danwalkermusic.com
www.soundcloud.com/danwalkermusic
www.taxi.com/danwalker

dzelmusic

Post by dzelmusic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 am

I just dumped Pro Tools for Logic x pro. I have been a pro tools user since the digi 001 came out in the 90's, right now I am on PT 11 and thats where me and avid will part ways. The new subscription thing is the straw that broke the camel's back. I will hold on to PT 11 encase I need it. the thought of having to learn a new DAW was a nightmare, but I got logic down in a very short time. Logic can do so much more than PT, I felt like a kid that just got 40 brand new keyboards and synths to play with. There is so much stuff in logic, I am loving it!!