ProTools or Logic?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DWMusic
Active
Active

ProTools or Logic?

Post by DWMusic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:43 pm

I've been using ProTools exclusively for all my recording.

Am i missing out by not using Logic?

Thx.
Dan Walker
Singer/Songwriter, Multi-Instrumentalist

www.danwalkermusic.com
www.soundcloud.com/danwalkermusic
www.taxi.com/danwalker

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: ProTools or Logic?

Post by kclements » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:11 am

It depends on you, I guess.

Logic really excels at Midi editing and dealing with Virtual Instruments, where I think ProTools excels at editing audio. You can do both in either one, but one is a bit better than the other.

If you're getting your work done, no reason to switch, IMO. Picking up a new DAW is not an easy task, so if it were me, I would need a really good reason to switch. If you want to learn another just to increase your knowledge, that's another story. I know a lot of people who use Logic and Protools together.

What do you feel you're unable to do with ProTools?

cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:33 pm

to expand on what Kayle said:

I use both Pro Tools and Logic and have for years. Since Pro Tools versions under V 11 made tremendously poor use of memory (32 bit app mean a max of 4GB for program and samples although the practical limit on some machines was more like 2.3 - 2.5 GB) I use Logic preferentially for sequencing tasks which has been 64 bit for about 3 years or more now and so no memory limits on size of session or amount of virtual instrument loading in RAM. I keep both around to make it easier to collaborate and to receive sessions to do custom mixes for clients with the least amount of messing around.

If you have PT 11, you have a 64 bit app, with no memory limits, and much better use of virtual instruments than any previous version - i.e. no reason at all to switch. Save your money to pay for AVID's exorbitant upgrade fees / scheme.

HOWEVER - as Kayle said - Pro Tools was first and foremost an audio recording / editing DAW and so its MIDI functions are somewhat rudimentary (still can do most things you need just not as easily) compared to Logic, Cubase, and Digital Performer.

DWMusic
Active
Active

Post by DWMusic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 am

I totally missed this, but am still appreciative!

I guess I feel like Logic might have more drum loops and creative tools than PT.
And I like what you said about having both to make collaborations easier.

Thanks.
Dan Walker

www.danwalkermusic.com
www.taxi.com/danwalker

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:05 am

Yes logic has tons more loops, virtual instruments, and mix effects built in that pro tools does, and also has mix architecture that isn't available in Pro Tools "vanilla" but is available in Pro Tools HD - like VCA faders, automation trim among other things.

Logic has a fantastic built in drum VI (drummer) which intelligently lets you build drum parts which is pretty amazing.

But if you don't know what those things are about, then yu are probably working fine without them.

And most people at some point get into third party stuff for sounds effects and at that point it doesn't matter which DAW you use.

DWMusic
Active
Active

Post by DWMusic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:54 am

I think I need to invest in Logic then.
I've been writing and recording on real instruments for most of my life. I'm under the impressions that virtual instruments require less time and can lead to more lucrative opportunities world wide. When looking at EDM or Hiphop Taxi listings, I think Logic is going to get me to a better place quicker.
Dan Walker

www.danwalkermusic.com
www.taxi.com/danwalker

RockChild56
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RockChild56 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:58 pm

Though not as popular in the USA Samplitude Pro X2 is worth a peek.
E J Bell

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:32 pm

DWMusic wrote:I think I need to invest in Logic then.
I've been writing and recording on real instruments for most of my life. I'm under the impressions that virtual instruments require less time and can lead to more lucrative opportunities world wide. When looking at EDM or Hiphop Taxi listings, I think Logic is going to get me to a better place quicker.
perhaps.

If you are the kind of person who would invest in Nexus or Massive or Sylenth or any of the U-he things for EDM anyways, getting logic won't help you that much. Logic has great synths, but it isn't what those packages are, and until Logic X when the added the retro synths, a lot of the patches were kinda frozen in time. Actually protools has a couple of very usable synths too - Vacuum has some excellent stuff and the basic waveforms in Expand! are very usable - especially when you treat them your own way with distortion eq / FX etc.

still for $199 Logic X is hard to beat.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 am

DAWs are such a personal choice. And I think that you can do just about anything you want with any of the current offerings. For me, it comes down to workflow and what I like working in. I used to use Digital Performer and liked it very much. I switched to Logic many years ago and it just seemed to click. The way Logic works makes sense to me. I have friends who don't care for it at all.

My suggestion is to check out all the DAWs and see which one speaks to you. You will (hopefully) be spending a lot of time with it, and you should enjoy the experience. A lot of DAWs offer demos, check them out and kick the tires. Digital Performer, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, all have demos available, I believe. Seems like even Pro-Tools has a demo version - or a free version,

For Logic, if you have an Apple store nearby - go spend some time there. They always have at least one machine with Logic installed.

Getting a DAW is a huge investment not only in $$ but in time learning. Make sure it's one that speaks to you, and not just one that others use for a particular type of music.

cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

DWMusic
Active
Active

Post by DWMusic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:23 am

Thank you Andy, Kayle and RockChild.
I think I'll stick with PT 11 for now since I've had about 2 years with it. Work flow is shaping up. I wouldn't want to go backwards at this point until I get that 'Hit' and have more time on my hands ;)
Dan Walker

www.danwalkermusic.com
www.taxi.com/danwalker