The Upside to a Return

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

The Upside to a Return

Post by Russell Landwehr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Doncha just love it when you get a return for an "exclusive" listing... it frees up that BRILLIANT cue you wrote so you can place it elsewhere.

rl
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Geno
Active
Active

Re: The Upside to a Return

Post by Geno » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm feeling ya Russell. Realy feelin' ya...

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:48 am

Nice one Russell. 8-)

I look at returns as you got to get the returns to get the forwards and you got to get the forwards to get the placements. all part of the process. the more returns you get the closer you get to placements.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 am

This is so true, Russell. Returns suck, but this really is an upside. I have figured out something you veterans no doubt already know: try to write cues with multiple uses or multiple pitch targets. I feel way less bad about a return if I know that the cue will find a home eventually, or a modified version thereof will.

Now when there's a really specific obscure request - like first communion church organ 8-) - I ask myself if I can produce the cue fairly quickly, since I'm not going to have much use for a cue like that in future. This stuff is obvious if you've been really active at TAXI for years, but it takes some of us a while...

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:15 am

As I learned in sales, every "no" meant that I was once step closer to "yes"! I have discovered that Taxi's screening process is more demanding now than it used to be. In my prior membership period, I got forwards pretty quickly all things considered. Now its not so easily accomplished.

I could say that technology is the difference. But I believe that the material from Taxi members is of much higher quality. I am amazed at the material that I hear from Taxi members. Even though technology allows one's music to sparkle and shine at a level inconceivable a few years back, it can't make a poor written song be anything other than a poorly written song wonderfully recorded and produced. A pig is a tuxedo is still just a well-dressed pig.

Thank you all for the great music that you produce. Thank you Taxi for creating an environment which causes me to do the best quality work that I can do.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:52 am

I'm with ya on this one, my friend. Once you've got a good stable of libraries under your belt, there's no such thing as a wasted effort anymore. Every track, even if it's returned on a Taxi listing, will find a home somewhere.

Funny, but this happened with me recently too with an exclusive listing. It was good, but wasn't totally on-point for what the supe needed. So when it got returned, I sent it to 3 of my non-ex libraries and they all took it.

You know what they say about life giving you lemons? Throw the suckers back and find a nice juicy peach instead!! The hell with the lemons!

~~Matt

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:14 am

Good dose of optimism. I like it.