A question about buyouts of songs

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

A question about buyouts of songs

Post by TerrellBurt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:59 am

Are songwriters still entitled to mechanical royalties if a label/artist wants to buyout one of your songs for a fee? Performance royalties are a no brainer, but not sure about mechanical royalties. Someone please chime in. Thank you.

ScottFree4All
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: A question about buyouts of songs

Post by ScottFree4All » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:21 am

Hey Terrell,

All deals are different but I would assume a buyout means a total buyout. You would be signing away all past, current, and future rights for any aspect of that song unless otherwise specified within the contract. You should ask to see the offer in print and perhaps have a lawyer review before being pressured to sign but these types of deals are common. It's business. I've never sold a song so I don't have first hand knowledge.

Cheers,
Scott

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:35 am

to add to what Scott said and further muddy the waters:

there are a lot of different kinds of buyouts - a common one around these parts is a "sync buyout" where you trade your participation in any future sync / master use fees for upfront money.

so like Scott says - its going to depend on exactly what is written in the contract that you receive in this particular deal.

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:28 pm

ScottFree4All wrote:Hey Terrell,

All deals are different but I would assume a buyout means a total buyout. You would be signing away all past, current, and future rights for any aspect of that song unless otherwise specified within the contract. You should ask to see the offer in print and perhaps have a lawyer review before being pressured to sign but these types of deals are common. It's business. I've never sold a song so I don't have first hand knowledge.

Cheers,
Scott
Makes sense. And I would definitely have an attorney review the paperwork before signing anything. I was just going back and forth with an artist manager who is looking for songs for an artist he managers and he was saying he would want a total buyout as opposed to me retaining the copyright and licensing it to his artist.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:38 pm

it goes without saying that a TOTAL buyout should get you a sum much greater than any kind of license situation.

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:23 pm

andygabrys wrote:it goes without saying that a TOTAL buyout should get you a sum much greater than any kind of license situation.
I see.