Music not in public domain…question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ASV
Active
Active

Music not in public domain…question

Post by ASV » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:20 am

Hi All,

I was looking to do a new version of "little drummer boy" over the holidays and discovered that this tune is not in the public domain. My intention would be to finish the new version and send it out to taxi listings. How can I get permission to do that? Is it complicated?

Thanks,
Adam

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Music not in public domain…question

Post by Len911 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:16 pm

ASV wrote:Hi All,

I was looking to do a new version of "little drummer boy" over the holidays and discovered that this tune is not in the public domain. My intention would be to finish the new version and send it out to taxi listings. How can I get permission to do that? Is it complicated?

Thanks,
Adam

That is up to the listing. If the listing requests public domain songs, you wouldn't submit it, if it asked for cover songs, they are responsible for all that, if they asked for originals, you wouldn't be submitting. If you are releasing it on a cd or something yourself, then here is a link explaining it:

https://www.harryfox.com/
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:11 am

Here's a couple resources on how to deal with cover songs:

Licensing recordings of famous hits and popular standards (by Michael Borges):
http://www.licensequote.com/blog/index. ... standards/

How You Can Clear Cover Songs, Samples, and Handle Public Domain Works (by ASCAP)
http://www.ascap.com/playback/2011/01/f ... light.aspx
Ceo of my own life

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:00 am

Good info guys!
Some are harder to use than others too.
Here's a good example:

UNIQUE, CONTEMPORARY COVERS of CLASSIC 1980s ROCK HITS are needed by a successful Music Licensing Company pitching to a number of high-end Film and TV placements. Quoting the source: "The only other thing I'm collecting now are covers of well known songs, but not songs that would be unaffordable to license, like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, U2, etc., or artists who don't like to have their music covered like Neil Young, Tom Petty, etc. I want interesting unique versions of the songs, something different, more current, and inventive." They're not looking for sound-alikes for this one, so please only send your most innovative and interesting covers that deliver a unique twist on a classic song. Please do not send deep album cuts that nobody remembers, only memorable covers songs will work for their needs. Submissions can either be stripped down, change instrumentation, tempo, or switch a song that was sung by a male to a female, as long as it's highly unique in a contemporary and engaging way. Take a listen to Lorde's cover of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears for Fears. That's what they want! Something that pushes the boundaries in a really cool way! This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal on a deal-by-deal basis. You must own or control 100% of your Master. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure your material is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Please submit one to three Cover songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than Friday, January 9, 2015.
TAXI # Y150109CV

I doubt Little Drummer Boy falls into that category though?

Steve
Worse, how can it be worse...Jehova Jehova Jehova