A little confused about a listing

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

A little confused about a listing

Post by Piewackit1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 am

I think the thing that confuses me is the reference to Lourdes Everybody wants to rule the world. Are they looking for us to pick an 80's song and make it like Lourdes version of Everybody(genre) or to just re-make an 80's song in a unique way in any genre? I hope that questions makes sense.

UNIQUE, CONTEMPORARY COVERS of CLASSIC 1980's ROCK HITS are needed by a successful Music Licensing Company pitching to a number of high-end Film and TV placements. Quoting the source: "The only other thing I'm collecting now are covers of well known songs, but not songs that would be unaffordable to license, like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, U2, etc., or artists who don't like to have their music covered like Neil Young, Tom Petty, etc. I want interesting unique versions of the songs, something different, more current, and inventive." They're not looking for sound-alikes for this one, so please only send your most innovative and interesting covers that deliver a unique twist on a classic song. Please do not send deep album cuts that nobody remembers, only memorable covers songs will work for their needs. Submissions can either be stripped down, change instrumentation, tempo, or switch a song that was sung by a male to a female, as long as it's highly unique in a contemporary and engaging way. Take a listen to Lorde's cover of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears for Fears. That's what they want! Something that pushes the boundaries in a really cool way! This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal on a deal-by-deal basis. You must own or control 100% of your Master. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure your material is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Please submit one to three Cover songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than Friday, January 9, 2015. TAXI #Y150109CV

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: A little confused about a listing

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:58 pm

jeff i think they are just bringing Lourde's version up as a "contemporary" re-imagination of Everybody….. There are substantial differences, the vocal melody has been changed, rhythmic phrasing changed, key changed Major to minor etc.

so not to copy Lourde's style, but to re-imagine the song in a cool way.

Like was the Atari's remake of "boys of summer" different enough that it could be called "interesting unique versions of the songs" - maybe. Its pretty much the same as the original with a little harder approach and crunching guitars. the second verse and second pre chorus is TIGHT!

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:18 am

As always thanks Andy. That is the way I interpreted the listing, but my co-writer thought they wanted a Lourdes type version of an 80's tune.

We have two songs to submit but I'm always a little apprehensive with these types of listings as you never know what they really want.

Anyway, thanks again Andy.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 am

love to hear them if you submit. its always cool to hear creative versions of tunes.