new track, just one for me, style and a la question NEW MIX

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: new track, just one for me, style and a la question

Post by johnlewitt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks so much everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

To all who referenced the vocal levels, I will fix that. I remember Fett saying in his mixing class that even with the best of vocalist he can have 40 volume automation edit points. I guess I need some! And it sounds like I should ditch the synth. And, yes I realize the lyric isn't going to be relatable to anyone under 30 (so Feaker you must be 31).

Andy, yeah I was trying out a new plugin on the bass, but I set the volume level for a different compressor. Bass is present now.

Carlson, I can hear what you're saying with an octave lower piano. I am going to try that. I will mess around with some harmonies too.

Bob, I will see if my limited electric guitar playing fingers can find anything that works!

Nick, I'm all for creating my own genre. I just need to convince Taxi to run listings for it!

Paul, I may mess around with the interlude. I like bring it down, but it may be too polite.

Dan, Nick, paul, Peter, I may end up making this two mixes - a even more rocking one and an acoustic version.

And Len, thank you.

John

PaulBergren
Impressive
Impressive

Re: new track, just one for me, style and a la question

Post by PaulBergren » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Yeah, you know it's all personal preference. That interlude just slowed it down for me, but I'm sure there are other that really liked the vibe it created.

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: new track, just one for me, style and a la question NEW

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi All,

I've taken as many of the suggestions possible (no more synth, added in harmony, the bass is now present, got rid of the polite piano, etc.) and added them in. Here's the new mix and version:

https://soundcloud.com/john-lewitt/nowhere-near-dead

Let me know your thoughts.

John