Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Motivating Instrumental feedback please

Post by andygabrys » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:57 pm

I think its a great cue Ron.

For me the drums are a little too forward. It makes the guitars sound back by comparison.

A/B this (dated) shot in the dark… https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... kaiQ#t=260

re: the drums - is it Logic's drummer? sounds good honestly. Whether "live" drums would sound better depends on how great the drummers room sounds and how good kit tuning and mic placement is. Maybe the feel would be different / better, but you might not get better "sounding" drums unless you spend $$$. So how much are you going to pay for a WFH performance vs. how much the cue is going to earn average over its lifetime? Just asking………for discussions sake.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 pm

I liked it, Ron. Could hear the corporate sound.
To be honest, that's how I think of U2 and Coldplay.

I heard Bono sing to this, over the wind wire.

So, if that's an agreeable reference, I'd prefer a sustaining 8th note bass to it, in stead of the funky one you did.
Let it rock after 19'sec, do the break and 8th note bass again.

I'd also put a bit more ambience on the drums. The rhythm group sounded a touch too dry to me, so give it more space. Corporate tracks seem to have that.

Just my c.
Ceo of my own life

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks, guys! This is super helpful. I will continue to tweak and post and update soon.

Ron

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Yes, it's Logic's Drummer. I do like your suggestions. Also, I'm with you on the concept of virtual drums vs a real drummer on this type of project. It might be better, but I doubt the ROI is there.

SC link updated.
andygabrys wrote:I think its a great cue Ron.

For me the drums are a little too forward. It makes the guitars sound back by comparison.

A/B this (dated) shot in the dark… https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... kaiQ#t=260

re: the drums - is it Logic's drummer? sounds good honestly. Whether "live" drums would sound better depends on how great the drummers room sounds and how good kit tuning and mic placement is. Maybe the feel would be different / better, but you might not get better "sounding" drums unless you spend $$$. So how much are you going to pay for a WFH performance vs. how much the cue is going to earn average over its lifetime? Just asking………for discussions sake.

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:05 pm

ron, love it...i'm a sucker for this inspirational style electric geetar.

production opinions:

i would verb everything up a bit.

i wanted to hear the part that starts at :56 a little earlier (minor nit)

from 1:31 out, a nice dynamic shift would be to add a real simple, soaring guitar melody line that repeats every 4 bars.

ps, that left ch. git makes you the freakin' thunderstruck angus young of the pop guitar world. nice playin man!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:42 am

RonKujawa wrote:Yes, it's Logic's Drummer. I do like your suggestions. Also, I'm with you on the concept of virtual drums vs a real drummer on this type of project. It might be better, but I doubt the ROI is there.

SC link updated.
andygabrys wrote:I think its a great cue Ron.

There's an alternative route to virtual vs real. You could have a real drummer record a midi track to your mix (without drums), and then get the midi track back, and use the sample VI's. That will get the feel, and you will still be free to mix as needed. Still not viable for all projects, though. But just another alternative.
Ceo of my own life

WaddyP
Impressive
Impressive

Post by WaddyP » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:02 pm

I thought you definitely hit a corporate motivational theme there. The bass line definitely sounds familiar, from where I'm not sure. I would suggest adding a cymbal crescendo at the transition point (1:31), although my guess is that is your edit point. Just my thoughts. Great job.