Do you need to register song with PRO if no publisher?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Do you need to register song with PRO if no publisher?

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Heya Gavin.

What Peter said.

You are a non-USA PRO, right? Affiliated with ASCAP? I would think you are best off creating a publishing account if your PRO doesn't funnel the publishing money to you in the absence of a registered Publisher to the songs. When you place your stuff direct, the Writer's AND Publisher's shares are yours.
In the case of stuff that you haven't placed yet, best not to register it with the PRO in case a publisher picks it up. A NEW registration runs a LOT smoother than fixing an existing one.

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Russell Landwehr wrote:Heya Gavin.

What Peter said.

You are a non-USA PRO, right? Affiliated with ASCAP? I would think you are best off creating a publishing account if your PRO doesn't funnel the publishing money to you in the absence of a registered Publisher to the songs. When you place your stuff direct, the Writer's AND Publisher's shares are yours.
In the case of stuff that you haven't placed yet, best not to register it with the PRO in case a publisher picks it up. A NEW registration runs a LOT smoother than fixing an existing one.

Russell
Thanks Russell. Just submitted 3 songs to a library. They asked me to make sure they are registered with my PRO. so I went ahead and got them registered. I guess if I need to do the publishing company thing I will have to contact my PRO. Will see how this all works out. PRS is affiliated with ASCAP..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:31 pm

If it's the one I'm thinking...
They will be re-titling anyway. But like to see it registered in your PRO to verify the writers shares and such of the original title.
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:21 pm

pedrocosta wrote:If it's the one I'm thinking...
They will be re-titling anyway. But like to see it registered in your PRO to verify the writers shares and such of the original title.
Cool thanks Pedro. Yeah is the cru..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud