DATA BASE FOR YOUR CATALOG

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

DATA BASE FOR YOUR CATALOG

Post by LesSampou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 am

Has anyone come up with a good outline for cataloging your songs? Specifically an app or software that you can use to plug in your songs by genre, in the style of, emotion, lyrical theme, etc.? Just wondering if all you taxi members are more organized than me (which would not be hard!)...
Good luck!! Les

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: DATA BASE FOR YOUR CATALOG

Post by andygabrys » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:12 pm

I use excel. but its a bear.

forum-ite and tres-successful composer / father / all around good guy Keith Lubrant has made something called Composer Catalog http://www.composercatalog.com

and it says the Mac version is going to debut in March which I am eagerly awaiting.

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LesSampou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Hey Andy,
thanks, i'll go check it out. do you use it?

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LesSampou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:38 pm

I meant did you ever use it; i see you use excel, which I can't stand as it IS a bear.

eirikbj
Active
Active

Post by eirikbj » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:32 pm

When I worked as a Location Manager in the movie industry, I used Daylite (https://www.marketcircle.com/daylite/) for project management. It really is a CRM (Customer relationship management AKA sales) tool, but if you take the effort of learning it, and setting it up right, you can easily connect each track to what listings you sent it to, what collaborators (contacts) are involved, and even customers, contracts, sound files, websites, whatever is related and relevant to access easily about your song.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Found this for the Mac: Songwriters Companion
$7.99 at the Mac Store.

Description
Songwriter's Companion allows you to capture all your song ideas (titles/hooks, lyrics, and audio) in one easy-to-use application and then develop those ideas into completed songs. Songwriter's Companion includes a full featured text editor, Rhyme Finder for finding rhymes, an audio recording tool, a chord palette for dragging & dropping chords into your lyrics, and the ability to display chords above your lyric's text (ChordPro style). All your work is highly searchable and sortable. Even when you've got hundreds or thousands of songs in progress you'll find what you're looking for with Songwriter's Companion.

Review:
Everything a songwriter needs
by DanGriffith
I have found Songwriter’s Comanion to provide all the tools I need, in a very simple to use format. I had been using a well known competing product for 6 over years but the recent upgrade which requires access to the cloud was a turn off. Often times, I write in locations where I am not connected to the cloud, i.e: on the road, in the air, in the wilderness, or in a hotel without paying a $14 a day internet fees. Songwriter’s Companion allows me to access my songs and it's rhyme dictionaries whereever I am. This is important to me. The ability to add chords with traditional symbols or the Nashville numbering system is allow. A great package at a great price! I am completely statisfied.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:26 pm

LesSampou wrote:Hey Andy,
thanks, i'll go check it out. do you use it?
don't think Keith has released the Mac version yet. Supposed to be this month.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:12 am

Hello Fellow Cabbies -

If you are looking for software that allows you to keep track of you songs, lyrics, chords, has a rhyming dictionary, allows you to add audio samples, keeps track of your pitch calls, publishing...... I can recommend TuneSmith from Idolumic software: http://www.rhymegenie.com/tunesmith.html

It is a nice piece of software, designed for songwriters. I used it for a long time before switching to a spreadsheet. The dev is very approachable, customer support is great and he takes comments and suggestions. And it is very affordable.

I stopped using it for a number of personal reasons, nothing to do with any fault on the software. It is specifically designed for songwriters - lots of stuff for lyrics and rhymes and such, which I don't use. The tracking aspect is very good, but I wanted to include financials, which it doesn't do (yet?). So I moved everything to a spreadsheet where I can keep track of my publishers and submissions, but also my income from each publisher and cue. It wasn't that difficult to set up, and the hardest part is remembering to update it with each cue I submit and income from BMI each quarter.

That being said, I am really looking forward to Keith's solution. I have seen the PC version and it seems a perfect fit for this. Keith is a fellow composer and has thought this out from that standpoint - so it is designed from the ground up for composers. Also, Keith is one of the nicest guys you will meet (I met him at the Rally - another reason to go!) and a great composer. I like supporting those kinds of people.

Keith hasn't announced a shipping date on the Mac Version. But I do believe it is on track for release later this summer. I know he is working very hard to get it completed and in our hands.

EDIT: I see he announced on his site the end of March!

Cheers
kc
Last edited by kclements on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LesSampou » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:12 am

Hey KC, thanks for the info. i'll wait for the mac version....i spoke with keith and don't mind waiting.....I also was told by a very active tv film producer/arranger of mine about the subject and he actually recommended iTunes on mac; he swears by the ability to custom the columns and organize it the way you want, but honestly, i find the iTunes library system awful to use....maybe cuz i haven't spent enough time understanding it, maybe because it's a pain to work with. chicken egg. Let me know KC if you hear from Keith first about the new version. I think i'm on his mailing alert.
Best, Les

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:32 am

kclements wrote:Hello Fellow Cabbies -

If you are looking for software that allows you to keep track of you songs, lyrics, chords, has a rhyming dictionary, allows you to add audio samples, keeps track of your pitch calls, publishing...... I can recommend TuneSmith from Idolumic software: http://www.rhymegenie.com/tunesmith.html

It is a nice piece of software, designed for songwriters. I used it for a long time before switching to a spreadsheet. The dev is very approachable, customer support is great and he takes comments and suggestions. And it is very affordable.

I stopped using it for a number of personal reasons, nothing to do with any fault on the software. It is specifically designed for songwriters - lots of stuff for lyrics and rhymes and such, which I don't use. The tracking aspect is very good, but I wanted to include financials, which it doesn't do (yet?). So I moved everything to a spreadsheet where I can keep track of my publishers and submissions, but also my income from each publisher and cue. It wasn't that difficult to set up, and the hardest part is remembering to update it with each cue I submit and income from BMI each quarter.

That being said, I am really looking forward to Keith's solution. I have seen the PC version and it seems a perfect fit for this. Keith is a fellow composer and has thought this out from that standpoint - so it is designed from the ground up for composers. Also, Keith is one of the nicest guys you will meet (I met him at the Rally - another reason to go!) and a great composer. I like supporting those kinds of people.

Keith hasn't announced a shipping date on the Mac Version. But I do believe it is on track for release later this summer. I know he is working very hard to get it completed and in our hands.

EDIT: I see from his site it should be ready the end of March!

Cheers
kc
Will Keith's Mac version be able to track financials?