Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Mixnow3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Submitting Music to ITunes, etc.

Post by Mixnow3 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Hello,

I am a new member. I just joined a couple of months ago. If I am lucky enough to get any of my music forwarded and licensed, can I still try to sell my music on ITunes, etc. without interfering with an exclusive or non-exclusive license? I know that CD Baby has a deal where they will distribute music to ITunes, YouTube, etc.

Thanks,

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Submitting Music to ITunes, etc.

Post by kclements » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Mixnow3 wrote:Hello,

I am a new member. I just joined a couple of months ago. If I am lucky enough to get any of my music forwarded and licensed, can I still try to sell my music on ITunes, etc. without interfering with an exclusive or non-exclusive license? I know that CD Baby has a deal where they will distribute music to ITunes, YouTube, etc.

Thanks,

Welcome to Taxi and the Forum.

There isn't a definitive answer to your question. It really depends on the contract you sign. Most of the publishers I work with do allow me to place the music on iTunes if I wanted. I have one that does'nt. So read your contract well and it never hurts to ask before hand.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

andysteinert

Post by andysteinert » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:28 am

Hi Kayle,
this was a great answer, but I'd like to have your opinion (and others) on this:

Iā€™m thinking about the pros and cons of giving away your music to friends.

Pro: You have to do everything to make your music available and should give it to everybody who could be willing to listen.

Con: You could make a deal with a library (exclusice) and are not allowed to do that or have to fear that anybody uploads your song and you get into trouble.

In this situation, you couldn't make the deal when you give away your music beforehand?

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Gypsygal
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gypsygal » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Hey Andy, welcome ! Maybe you got your question answered, it's a good one. I don't know either but I'd like to know about these kind of things.
I stopped posting my stuff to Fandalism which I used to do, just because of the idea of potential trouble down the road.
Why not email Michael and have him address it in a taxi tv episode?

Good luck with your submissions :) diane

RenneStone

Post by RenneStone » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:10 pm

In my experience dont sell your music on ITunes, if you have a signed license, or ask the publisher first, most of them are cool and let you do it, but some are strict about it. :geek: