Does this one need a bridge?

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jasonrumley

Does this one need a bridge?

Post by jasonrumley » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:35 pm

On my 7th draft of this tune called "Kiss Me Goodbye", my latest and greatest. This would be in the arena of contemporary country a la Gary Allan. It feels near done, the syllables need a little ironing out but I think it's close. My question is: Does this need a bridge? I don't feel like there's a counterpoint idea here. What do you think? Are there any other things I should keep in mind for the 8th draft and 9th drafts?

Kiss Me Goodbye
V
I said I can't take anymore
Spun my tires off into the night
I didn't even take any clothes
You didn't even kiss me goodbye

V
I've been trying to let go
But I can't put down that book
I tore up all your pictures
Left em floatin down the brook

Pre Ch
I need a place to rest
I've been sinned against

Ch
Kiss me goodbye
I'm running off to Cheyenne
Can't say we didn't try
But I swear this won't ever happen again
Kiss me goodbye
Kiss me goodbye

V
Just when I think I'm alright
A buzz hits my phone
Before I know what's happenin
I wake up at your home

Pre Ch
You only call when you're lonely
You only call to use me

Ch

(middle 8)

Ch

Out

(Copyright 2015, Jason Rumley BMI)

marczazzaro

Re: Does this one need a bridge?

Post by marczazzaro » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Not sure if it needs a bridge, but if so, I think what you currently have as a third verse might make a better bridge. I think that your third verse lyrics are really what hammer home the whole cyclical nature (get fed up <-> come crawling back against better judgment) of the issue the narrator sings about. It therefore might make for a powerful bridge. In the spot of those lyrics for the third verse, you could instead perhaps expand on the "I'm over him/her for good" sentiment so that the structure would go as follows:

Verse 1 : "I'm done with you. I am sad/mad"
Verse 2: "Here's a more descriptive example of just how done with you. Still sad/mad"
Verse 3: "I'm happy now. Finally free. Never going back." (this is the new proposed sentiment of third verse)
Bridge : "Oh no. I've gone and done it all over again" (this is formerly verse 3)

But, then again, I'm just a newbie so I don't really know what I'm talking about. Just spitballin' here! :-)
I hope this helps in some small way!

jasonrumley

Re: Does this one need a bridge?

Post by jasonrumley » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:47 am

Excellent advice! The 3rd verse is my bridge, I didn't even see it till you said that. I'm not sure if I want to write a replacement 3rd verse, or just go right to the prech/ch after the first verse. I'll play around with it, maybe try both.

Thanks!