Songs I have for other artists to record their version

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TLD

Songs I have for other artists to record their version

Post by TLD » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 pm

In most of the Taxi listings they are nearly always asking for YOUR recorded version that is "broadcast quality" and ready to go in whatever genre. Are there any outlets for a song or songs one has that an existing artist might hear, and if something in that song strikes them, that they would possibly be interested in making their own version? If so, where would I most likely find those opportunities, rather than submitting my songs to what seems to be the most appropriate listings? I do not necessarily need or have to be the artist performing my songs, I think is what I am trying to say.

SongCatMusic

Re: Songs I have for other artists to record their version

Post by SongCatMusic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Not really sure what you mean? You mean you would like to place your song with an established artist who will perform the song. I believe Taxi has a few of those opportunities as well, but you always will need a pro sound, radio ready and with great vocals, even if you pitch it to placement opportunities with other artists. A&Rs and supervisors will not listen to anything less than radio ready quality these days with competition being that high.

TLD

Post by TLD » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:54 am

SongCatMusic wrote:Not really sure what you mean? You mean you would like to place your song with an established artist who will perform the song. I believe Taxi has a few of those opportunities as well, but you always will need a pro sound, radio ready and with great vocals, even if you pitch it to placement opportunities with other artists. A&Rs and supervisors will not listen to anything less than radio ready quality these days with competition being that high.
That is what I mean, and thank you for your reply. Athough the sound isn't bad, I still hold out for someone that might like the concept and see a diamond in the rough on a few songs!

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 am

TLD wrote:
SongCatMusic wrote:Not really sure what you mean? You mean you would like to place your song with an established artist who will perform the song. I believe Taxi has a few of those opportunities as well, but you always will need a pro sound, radio ready and with great vocals, even if you pitch it to placement opportunities with other artists. A&Rs and supervisors will not listen to anything less than radio ready quality these days with competition being that high.
That is what I mean, and thank you for your reply. Athough the sound isn't bad, I still hold out for someone that might like the concept and see a diamond in the rough on a few songs!
Sound that "isn't bad" won't cut it unfortunately. This is a competitive industry (you're up against thousands of others that are aspiring to do exactly what you do) and even though you may have a well written song, a song that might not have great lyricism but has superb broadcast quality will likely get chosen/forwarded over yours. Always aim to submit the best quality songs to the listings, even if it's for a major/indie artist and will be re-recorded anyway. Make your material stand out from the crowd and you can best do that with broadcast quality records.

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodymessiah » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:22 pm

that's the way i see it too. if your song isn't "radio ready" and the demo singer world class, you'll stand no chance with an artist pitch.