New Taxi Collaboration: Foxtrot County ICU

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New Taxi Collaboration: Foxtrot County ICU

Post by denalihighway » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks very much for all the comments guys - Dan - The Travelling Wilburys eh? More like the Stuttering Beer Guzzlers. We've been quite productive and I put that squarely down to the fact that we don't actually get to rehearse together..cuz if we did, judging by the Rally, there might not be a lot of work done :D

I've read all the comments with interest but Richard - if you're still following this thread, might you elaborate on how we might 'danger' it all up a bit? I'm interested in this cuz I suppose for film/TV you're thinking, keep it accessible or whatever, but I'm thinking of we were dirtying it up, what are you thinking? Like putting some more sauce/grit on the guitars? Maybe putting some nice tape saturation over the busses etc? Parallel dirty and compressed drum busses etc? Sorry that's a lot of questions but am I thinking like you're thinking?

Just happened to be implementing a cool tutorial I watched today on beefing up MIDI drums...

Thanks again y'all. This is a fun collab, with some fine gents, and there's some cool stuff coming down the line. Well done to Brother Lewitt for reaching out after the Rally and for being our ruthless task master :)

Carlson - I think its easier doing this kinda thing when everyone's a little 'less young'. Not that there's not egos involved...but they're more easily put aside I think, and everyone is happy to play to their strengths and stand aside when needs be. It works really great, try it out. Bare in mind, we'd all met before so we knew we got on - and that's often the most important element of all. No 'creative differences yet' :)

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Yeah, go team! Nice tune guys, if I had to critique I'd say the production is on the safe side right now, like nothing wants to stand out but I wanted to hear something standing out and defining itself if that makes any sense. I did notice what Funsongs was talking about with the drums, something about the groove, maybe it's to do with quantization, dunno. But the drum sound could be fuller, maybe more compression and some distortion?

Anyway, I'd say don't be afraid to experiment and try some crazy ideas and let the parts stand up and be counted!

Hope that helps,

eo

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks Ethan - that helps, glad you enjoyed it.

Let's dirty up this 'ol tune and see what happens...

Cheers bud
Gar

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 am

Here is the final mix of this tune. We tried to beef up the drums and tried to give the mix a little more 'mustard'.

https://soundcloud.com/john-lewitt/take-my-time

Thanks for all your comments.

John