Cold calls?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlexanderFox
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Cold calls?

Post by AlexanderFox » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Hey all, I'll appreciate anyone's input on this. I just moved to a new city (it's an "up-and-coming" area for tech/game design according to media reports etc) and would like to reach out to a few smaller video game companies here that I have read about to see if I could license some of my tracks or maybe do some custom work for them as a career-builder. Some of the companies have just one big game and are developing more, others have a few titles in several different genres.

Does anyone do this? I haven't sent a cold call letter/email in a loooooong time, and even back then it was in a different industry. What are the do's and don'ts of such an unsolicited inquiry or submission? What would you include or exclude, say or not say, ask or not ask?

Anyone have experience with this they could share? Thanks in advance!
Alexander Fox
Your Latin music guy

http://www.alexanderfoxmusic.com

shorttonpro
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Cold calls?

Post by shorttonpro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Alex,

I just read this article from a publisher/sync guy who gets tons of cold emails and wrote what he prefers to receive. I'd think something short and sweet along these lines would work well.

To Summarize:
-Make your subject line unique and searchable in the future
-Make a meaningful connection proving you've done you're research and it is not copied text
-A few short sentences about what you do and have accomplished
-A LINK to stream and download your material (stay away from attachments)
-Throw in a call to action to get a reply. Ask what type of music they may need, if they'd allow you to take them to lunch etc...
-Provide clear and comprehensive means of contact in your signature
Last edited by shorttonpro on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 am

I would never cold call anyone, really. I've found that quite inefficient, and sometimes even counterproductive. It may work in some rare occations, but those percentages are not worth it, imo. It's like that in many areas of the business world. In my day job outside music business, I never respond to unsolicited stuff either. I need to know people, or know that they know someone I know and can be trusted.

I'd suggest showing up at appropriate meetings, gatherings, events and conferences, make an impact and build networks. That's how most business contacts are built in this day and age. Those are legitimate venues to build relationships. The everyday work schedules rarely allows for this. For starters, Taxi can stand in for contacts and networks and supplement them, but not replace them. The Taxi Road Rally works about the same way. Once you get a few contacts, the snowball effect can start happening.

John Mazzei, a succesful Taxi member have made inroads to the game community and may have more precise business advice on this subject as well. http://johnmazzei.com/
Ceo of my own life

AlexanderFox
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlexanderFox » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks for the replies and the insights. I'm not thrilled with the idea of unsolicited communication, but sometimes I just feel like I shouldn't leave anything untried. That said, I agree with Kolstad's view that it can sometimes be counterproductive, so I'm actually leaning toward not doing it now. I really appreciate the input!
Alexander Fox
Your Latin music guy

http://www.alexanderfoxmusic.com

SongCatMusic

Post by SongCatMusic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Where are you based? In some areas there are strict laws in regards to cold calls.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Go for it.

Whatever you do, do not be scared. Never let fear prevent you from taking a chance.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:05 am

If you don't cold call, they can't call you unless you are using a different channel (like TAXI). If you don't have a different channel (like TAXI), then why not cold call? If you are professional and do your homework properly, and don't be an ass and/or pest, I can't see where it would hurt.

Unless you have a bird in the hand (Library or Supervisor accepting your material)... then concentrate on that first. Leverage your time where it will be MOST effective.

If you don't have that bird in the hand (Library or Supervisor accepting your material), you should concentrate on the avenue where you think you will have the most success.... like submitting to TAXI Listings for instance. :shock:

I would only cold call if there is no current opportunity to write/record for.

Regards
Russell Landwehr
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:32 am

DesireInspires wrote:Go for it.

Whatever you do, do not be scared. Never let fear prevent you from taking a chance.
Yes, it's not a black and white proposition. I've found this to be true as well. It's about being prepared AND follow your guts. It highly depends on the situation you (AND the reciever) are in.
Ceo of my own life

guitargurumike
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guitargurumike » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:37 pm

Figured I'd chime in on this, because I have made some good connections via social media (esp. Twitter) in the past few years.

To be clear, I am NOT handing them music, or trying to sell ANYTHING to them, nor do I speak about my music or any aspect of MY career. NOR do I ask well-known artists to "collab", or "check out my sound cloud, bro". Instead, I give them real, honest compliments, then steer the subject to life and such things, even OTHER artists we're both into lately--maybe someone on their roster.

Understand, I am trying to build a genuine relationship with a person of importance who one day might be curious enough to see what I'm up to. At worst, I gain a friend (in a high place).

It may seem like an impossible plan, but you would be freakin' amazed who I chat with, really really amazed trust me. OK, for example, one is a CEO of a huge company that is heavily involved in all aspects of music--we talk about family, never music. Others are world famous DJs, as well as journalists , young up-and-comers, and even interns at BIG music companies. You'd be amazed what a consistent stream of compliments based on THEIR current activities can achieve. They are people too, after all.

And, to be quite honest, I do not think I'm ready to work at that level as I am still learning and honing my art and craft, so I would prefer they DID NOT hear my tunes, as it would bias them early. When I am 100% sure that my work is of a quality that can compete at that level, then maybe, that's a big maybe, I'll ask if they've heard my music lately, very casually, confidently, and sorta offhand like it's no big deal.

This may seem like a roundabout way to make connections for you go-getters, but one thing 30 years in this crazy biz has taught me: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE (LONG-TERM) RELATIONSHIP--if that ain't happenin', you really have nothing.

IMHO,
Michael
Michael McAllister aka DJ Z Ride
Self-contained current electronica music production.
Dubstep,trap,house,hiphop,glitch,chill,ambient,cinematic.
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... argurumike

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:21 am

1+ Michael
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website