Final Mix Software Purchases

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Final Mix Software Purchases

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:51 am

I just purchased Mix Buss Lite and M1 Limiter Lite from Final Mix. Anyone have experience with these?
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

AlexanderFox
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Final Mix Software Purchases

Post by AlexanderFox » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:12 am

Mix Buss Lite is probably the best $19 I've ever spent on studio gear. It really gives tracks a lot of sparkle, clarity and lift with the slide of a fader. You can use it on anything but I've had the best success just using it on the output track.
Alexander Fox
Your Latin music guy

http://www.alexanderfoxmusic.com

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 am

yes i like them too.

the mix buss - on the mix buss.

the drum buss lite - on your drum submix or just on the drum track if you only have one.

the synth buss lite - same deal for synths - this one for example uses these three things (it also has iZotope Vinyl on the drums so that is the somewhat crakly bits you hear its not a mistake): https://soundcloud.com/andy-gabrys-music/the-projects

I have but often don't use the M1 - for no reason other than I have other plugins that have meters on them, and by default most of my tracks I limit to ~-10db RMS.

It seems like these plugins are all a combination of compression with different attack times (as you move the style nob) and various eqs (as you move the color knob) and on the synth one - seems to be a doubler, tripler, and "quadrupler" (websters dictionary look out now). As well as adding some saturation, as you can get perceived levels that are much hotter than your sounds by themselves.

but for a "modern" mix sound - where everything is kinda pressed ham under glass, with a lot of level on the hard panned elements so stuff sounds really wide and impressive, its cheap money and very useful.

something worthwhile about using them - I believe its detailed on their website or somewhere that its not a strictly green lights good red lights distorted kind of metering system.

With the mix bus for example, you sent the style and color, and then you raise the fader until the last red light comes on sporadically. This seems to be a sweet spot, I guess like driving an analogue console to a certain point.

If the last red light is on all the time, its too much, and its your choice to hit it more lightly than just a few red lights as well.

You will likely need to follow it up with a true limiter (like the M1) of some kind to prevent small over-levels that might cause lovely crackly digital distortion. I follow it with a limiter anyways just to be sure.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:15 pm

I was just researching the same topic. Mojo has some great content on his blog, this led me to a great YouTube video series by TheRecordingRevolution.com. Here is a video titled The Heavy Mix Bus Theory that addresses how great mainly going with bus mixing can be. (check out the rest of his videos, quality stuff for a n00b like me.)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks Alex! I have them on my output bus as well. So far, they seem to have added a great deal to the sonic quality to my mixes.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks Andy! You are always so helpful! I guess that I will buy the other two plugins as well. Here's to better mixing! Somehow that come out more like a toast than I meant! :lol:
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks Paulie! I will check out the links.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:44 am

I got the Mixx Buss 2 years ago at the Rally and it's a great simple plugin. I use it on every song I produce now. Can't beat the price too. ;)

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:17 pm

I agree about the price, Gus. Thank you to the fine folks at Final Mix for making such easy to use products at a price that even musicians can afford. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Onward and upward!
Lamar

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:54 am

Grabbed Mix Bus Lite and M1 at 1am other night (morning) after reading this thread :)

Working out nicely

Thanks!
Gar