How serious should one take the attributes in the listings?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BenjaminDerclaye
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

How serious should one take the attributes in the listings?

Post by BenjaminDerclaye » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:21 am

Hi,

A bit of a newbie question, although I've submitted a couple of songs already in the last weeks.

How serious should one take the attributes in the listings? Is there any room or margin to play with?
I'll give you my example.

LISTING
ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTALS
He’s looking for fun, Up-Tempo Instrumentals, and is pretty open to various types of Electronic Music genres for this game.
Music needs to be highly evocative, memorable, quirky, dynamic, imaginative and non-repetitive. If the track has a moose call, or a car honk, that's ok too. However, I’m NOT looking for “chiptune.” Instrumentals should have melodies and lead lines, and the occasional non-lyrical vocal chant is okay.

QUESTIONS
1. Instrumental cue is about two minutes, right? Do I have some room (in my example 14seconds extra) to play with?
2. Might be because I'm not a native speaker but what is a "CHIPTUNE"?
3. I have in my example two sentences that I've chopped up and messed with in a sampler. Does that still counts as non-lyrical vocal chant?

I'm sorry if the answers might be obvious to some of you. I only started submitting recently and still try to figure out a 100% how serious I should take every attribute in the listing.

Here is the example in question. Feel free to comment. I can use the assistance.

https://soundcloud.com/derclaye/keepyourbodymoving

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
B

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: How serious should one take the attributes in the listin

Post by andygabrys » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:51 am

Don't know about the rest, but "chip tune" refers to 8 bit synth video game music, the old stuff. Search youtube.

or rather more modern music that is influenced by the sounds in classic video game scores like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik7VvFDs9pw
Last edited by andygabrys on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:15 am

BenjaminDerclaye wrote:Hi,

How serious should one take the attributes in the listings? Is there any room or margin to play with?

QUESTIONS
1. Instrumental cue is about two minutes, right? Do I have some room (in my example 14seconds extra) to play with?
2. Might be because I'm not a native speaker but what is a "CHIPTUNE"?
3. I have in my example two sentences that I've chopped up and messed with in a sampler. Does that still counts as non-lyrical vocal chant?

It all depends on if you want a forward :)

All kidding aside, reading/interpreting the listings is an art all in itself. Sometimes there is a lot of wiggle room, sometimes not. and we never know until we get either a forward or return. Taxi tries hard to really describe what they are looking for but and it can be a challenge to get it right.

But overall, my experience has been:

1) Instrumental cues are usually about 2 minutes. If your cue comes in at, say, 1:40 or 2:17 or whatever, I think it is ok. They can always ask you to shorten or lengthen it if they really want to use it. Unless the listening is very specific about it. Sometimes they will say "must be 2:00 or longer..." In that case, I would be sure to hit the mark.

3) I'm not sure about this one. You can only submit and see. But I would have one ready without the sample vocal as well. If they contact you and say "we love this piece but need one without the vocal, and we need it right now!" you would be ready to send it off. And, you could submit two versions of the same cue - one with the vocal one without.

Hope that helps
cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 am

Benjamin,
I am also thinking of attempting to write and submit for this listing. I believe that the styles of electronic music are very broad in style and example. I also feel that some of the best examples are very repetitive and arpeggiated. Good luck and stay in touch.

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:34 am

Benjamin,
I really think you're on track here.

BenjaminDerclaye
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BenjaminDerclaye » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As suggested, I have a voice-less version ready in case of although I don't think it sounds as interesting as the original.
I've made sure only to use the chopped up syllables only and no words or sentences are recognisable. Essentially using the human voice and the syllables as a separate instrument. Hope they'll be ok with that.

I've managed to include about 12 hidden edit/cue points (0VU), only two of them are audible and very obvious to the ear.

Let see what they'll say.
Thanks again for the feedback

https://soundcloud.com/derclaye/move-it