We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Action Trailer Urban Rock

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:35 am

Hey guys,

I need some advice/critiques on this piece: https://soundcloud.com/premium-joe/mean-streets-1 Anything will help: Mix, arrangement, etc.

INSTRUMENTAL CUES for an ACTION FILM TRAILER are needed by the CEO of a NON-Exclusive Music Library. Quoting the source: “I need Instrumental Cues for a full-length Action Trailer I’m working on. 1st and 2nd act should be solely instrumental, which can be more mellow, maybe some tension building strings, but with a bit of an edge and a distinct Urban beat. The 3rd act should deliver more action, with an Urban/Rock vibe that’s beat-driven. The 3rd act can have a sparse lyric hook that shines through in a few places, but not wordy like a verse of a song. A good example of that would be the use of ‘Rock Superstar’ by Cypress Hill in the Training Day trailer, or ‘Bad Girls’ by M.I.A. in The Heat trailer.”

Note: You do NOT have to have sparse lyrics, but if you choose to include, please follow the direction given in the quote above.

Here are some references to get you in the ballpark:
“Training Day” Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTVQPOH8ZA

“End of Watch” Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2K9GzgiF0

“The Heat” Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahGnefZTdq4

Please submit well-crafted Instrumental Cues that follow the “three act” formula used in movie trailers, with all three “acts” building to an epic, contemporary, URBAN or URBAN/ROCK section with hard-hitting beats. The third act can have chunky electric guitars, or a universal lyric hook that adds intensity to the picture, but they’re not absolutely necessary if your instrumentals deliver a cool, hip, Urban vibe.

TAXI Tip: Film Trailers almost always happen in three “acts,” or sections. Trailers typically last about 2 to 2.5 minutes in total length. Act One starts at the beginning. Act Two usually comes in around one-minute (could be a bit earlier or later), and Act Three usually comes in about 30 seconds later and ends with a big build/crescendo leading to a buttoned or stinger ending.

This Library offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You’ll get 50% of any sync fees and 100% of the Writer’s share. The Publisher will get 50% of the sync fee and 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control the Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced trailers in any way shape or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, structure, and vibe. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD no later than 11:59pm (PST), on Wednesday, April 1st, 2015. TAXI #U150401UR

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Action Trailer Urban Rock

Post by Anders » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:08 pm

Really Cool track, I think it´s got a bit of modern James Bond feel to it

Nice job on building 3 acts like the listing asks for, nice tension.

Listing says "3rd act, Urban/Rock vibe that’s beat-driven", now I´m not exactly sure what they are looking for there so I might be wrong
but I think I would like some more power to the drums in your third act, there is also a percussion element that starts around 1:35 that I find a little distracting with the current mix.
Maybe add little grit to the bass starting from second act, recently I was given the advice to use parallel distortion on bass and that might work here too.

Great work!

/Anders

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks, Anders! The percussion thing was me trying to be clever and add a gun cocking soundclip. I wasn't sure about it so I may just take it out all together. I was thinking of distorting the bass as well, but got concerned that it may take away from the urban vibe. All of the refs were thug-themed films so I don't want to take away from that. I am going to experiment with it and try to post a new version tomorrow for last looks. I appreciate the advice.

-Joseph

Gypsygal
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gypsygal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:49 pm

Hey Joseph - Well far be it for me to comment being no expert in urban anything ..... ha ha .... but I would suggest the beginning could be
a little edgier/stronger if you were to use a synth sound instead of the strings... but if you want to keep the strings I would put a little delay on them to make them sound juicier - they sound just a bit dry to me ear. The buildup is good, and I agree take out those clicking sounds in the mix cause they just sound confusing, not needed. Hope that helps ! Good luck on your pitch :)

www.taxi.com/dianeridaeus

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:55 am

Thanks for the help guys. Here's a new version: https://soundcloud.com/premium-joe/mean-streets-final-2

I added some parallel distortion on the bass and drums starting around 1:00, added some more reverb to the strings as well as some different string patches to add some depth to them. I also removed the gun-cocking sound clip in act 3 (much better).

If there is anything else it is still lacking, please comment! Thanks again.

-Joseph

Gypsygal
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gypsygal » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Amazing difference in this latest mix, with a few subtle changes it's like 100% improved - almost seems like it all just effortlessly flows like a river, nothing stiff, just a good flow ! the intro is just the right length and you are rolling right into the beefy parts, it's edgier and the build up is really GOOD! Well done ! -diane

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Joseph » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 am

Thanks, Diane! I hope the screeners feel the same way.

-Joseph

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:07 am

I agree with Diane, feels like a nice improvement from subtle changes (though the first version wasn't there to A/B it).
I'm no mixing expert but I like the track a lot, good luck with it!

/Anders

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:50 am

Very nice good luck
Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

larrymagee
Impressive
Impressive

Post by larrymagee » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Nice job. Hope it gets forwarded.