For Those Who Master Their Own Work

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: For Those Who Master Their Own Work

Post by Paulie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:21 pm

This thread is pure gold for a mixing n00b like me. THANKS everyone!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

dzelmusic

Post by dzelmusic » Tue May 05, 2015 11:52 am

zacnelson wrote:Great tip about the high-pass! Do you notice you are able to increase the volume much more by doing that?
Yes, its funny the things you don't hear make a limiter peak. I dont go crazy with HP filters like some people do, but they are great at taking out the garbage. You can also low pass up in the BAT HEARING frequencies to clean up the high end also BUT.... If your like me and make music, you want to get the best mix as possible without having to spend a week on the mix. I Love the engineering part of this gig just as much as making the music, but I try not to over think it. If I was not forced to quit and call it done, I could mix one song forever. Everyday with fresh ears I will find something i want to change...but sometimes you have to just call it done, or you get nowhere fast!

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue May 05, 2015 12:18 pm

dzelmusic wrote:
zacnelson wrote:Great tip about the high-pass! Do you notice you are able to increase the volume much more by doing that?
Yes, its funny the things you don't hear make a limiter peak. I dont go crazy with HP filters like some people do, but they are great at taking out the garbage. You can also low pass up in the BAT HEARING frequencies to clean up the high end also BUT.... If your like me and make music, you want to get the best mix as possible without having to spend a week on the mix. I Love the engineering part of this gig just as much as making the music, but I try not to over think it. If I was not forced to quit and call it done, I could mix one song forever. Everyday with fresh ears I will find something i want to change...but sometimes you have to just call it done, or you get nowhere fast!
good point - but on an SSL high and low pass filters are right there, and they are there on many standard els on DAWs and a preset with that stuff already rolled off is pretty quick. 90% of tracks are usually going to take the same low end roll off from mix to mix in my experience.