Failed Collaboration Attempt

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Failed Collaboration Attempt

Post by TimWalter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:24 am

So, been scouring the local Craigslist pages looking for local (here in the "Flyover States" that means in a state adjacent to yours ha ha) musicians to jam with, band opportunities, etc. One woman in an adjacent state posted saying she was looking for a collaborator to put music and melody to her lyrics. She has had one of her songs recorded (published she said) by an artist I had not heard of, but there are many many artists out there. We exchanged emails, I sent her a co writers agreement stipulating we split it 50/50 etc, and stating as part of our arrangement I would create a "demo" of the song, most likely with acoustic guitar and me or another friend (meaning no out of pocket cost singer) singing it. If she wanted it done to "broadcast quality", that would be a separate arrangement. She said she would have time to look at it over the weekend and get back to me. This morning I got an email saying the cowriter agreement was fine and fair, and like what she did in the past, but she couldnt't commit any funds to making a broadcast quality recording. Her last collaborator had his own production studio and did the broadcast quality recording as part of the deal, but apparently they aren't working together any longer.

I've spent a lot of time trying to upgrade my skills and dollars on my studio (especially this latest upgrade which hasn't even been completely put together yet, waiting until I close on my new house later this month, but total cost is north of $6000 on upgrades so far). I recognize I'm no Chris Lord-Alge or a Rob Chiarelli, etc (yet), but based on latest critiques my stuff can pass as broadcast quality, and with all this new stuff (esp the UAD stuff) it can only get better.

Part of me wants to cave and throw it in (the recording part of it), but part of me says "NO, d____ It!". Anyway, there are many other collaborators out there, so onward and upward.

Just curious on other (especially much more successful and experienced) members would comment, if you have time. Thanks much.
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Failed Collaboration Attempt

Post by TheElement » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 am

Hey Tim, I feel your pain. I cant find anyone in my area either. When it comes to money and the biz most musicians run. Its the same everywhere.

I figured I best do everything myself. And I can. Even vocals but thats not my thing so I leave that alone. For now anyway. Just instrumentals.

Some collabs work and some don't. You just got to keep on moving.

As for production it takes time. The ears are the best gears.

I think each song we produce we learn something different. Thats important. To move on. Not to hang on any one song. Can't grow that way. Got to fail often and fast. So keep moving and moving forward to success! :)
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:59 am

bluzmannn wrote: Just curious on other (especially much more successful and experienced) members would comment, if you have time. Thanks much.
fwiw from a wannabee:
It was because of the open access, generosity, and encouraging stories here on these forums the I took my first stab at a co-write.
For me, just making the connection and getting the tracks put together WAS a huge success, if only of the personal sort.

Mine isn't the (especially much more successful and experienced) members sort of comments you're asking for; but reading your post, it helps to hear about those kinds of obstacles.

Since I've not got the production side of things to offer, it's been my thin hope to work/collaborate my way into being able to afford the price of membership - so that what I do have to contribute proves to be worth going that route.
So: I'm in the 12th year of my 5-year plan... :? 8-) I still keep at it, cause it's what I love to do.

Tim: here's to better success and a good R.O.I. for what you've put into motion.
Cheers,
Peter R.
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1/getti ... o-co-write
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 pm

I've usually done 50-50 without weighing up the contributions, creatively or production wise, because the idea is it all evens out in the end. You do a little more on this one, a little less on that one.

Should you ask a collaborator to pay you for producing the song you both own... I think, if you need to hire someone to sing it, etc, then yes ask them to pay for that, and perhaps offer a 60-40 split in your favour to "pay" you for your time in the studio or because you contributed more, rather than asking them for money for your production work.

The other thing to always consider is, what is this person going to be like to work with, long term. Are they professional, do they understand the industry.

Make sure it's all in writing, including who is going to deal with the pitches and responses and who has the right to make deals for the song.

It may feel that a lyricist contributes "less" but would the song exist without them..... :D
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:40 pm

hummingbird wrote:I've usually done 50-50 without weighing up the contributions, creatively or production wise, because the idea is it all evens out in the end. You do a little more on this one, a little less on that one.

Should you ask a collaborator to pay you for producing the song you both own... I think, if you need to hire someone to sing it, etc, then yes ask them to pay for that, and perhaps offer a 60-40 split in your favour to "pay" you for your time in the studio or because you contributed more, rather than asking them for money for your production work.

It may feel that a lyricist contributes "less" but would the song exist without them..... :D
:? ... okay... then if I also write the music and sing it,
I'd insist on an 80-40 split!! :shock: :? ;)
Peter R.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra