Frustrated

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Frustrated

Post by funsongs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:16 am

A non-member view from the Peanut Gallery. :? 8-)
After taking the time to read your bio/resume on your Taxi page, and watching 2 You Tube posts of live performances, clearly you've had an enviable career sharing the stage & spotlight with A-listers; "top of the food-chain" elevation, as it were.
It's understandable that going from there to "being the servant" might feel like a huge step backwards.

However, and making some huge assumptions: you jumped into the Taxi pool... because you still enjoy the adventure & challenge of creating new music; and/or using your achievements as a diving board to prolong the career. Both are noble reasons, imho. The mantra from Taxi-folks who take aim at fulfilling - to the letter - the descriptions in the listings remains: "give 'em what they want."

It sounds simple enough; but it may taste a bit too much like humble pie to some folks;
particularly if you/they've grown accustom to the lofty place... top of the heap, thank you Frank.

If being a servant to the client feels too much like a backward move, and not enough of a creative challenge: perhaps the road just does not suit you... nor lead to your destination.

Is that reasonable... and possibly true in this case?

FWIW: a dozen years ago I had the opportunity to get some A-listers (Grammy-winner) to play some tracks for a song of mine.
After the session I asked:
"With all your success, why would you take a session like this, and play with a 'nobody'?!... on a song that may never go anywhere?"
To shorten and paraphrase his long explanation, the gist of what he said was:
"I got into music cause I love it. Now that I'm on a lot of first-call lists, if I am able, I always take the opportunity -
you never know what magic might come out of the session.... and I love that.
Besides... if I DON'T answer the call, pretty soon I won't be getting ANY calls;
and I would miss out on doing what I have loved doing since I started."

Here's to your road... the one you choose to your best destination.
Cheers,
Peter R.
Last edited by funsongs on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Bernwa
Active
Active

Re: Frustrated

Post by Bernwa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks for the feedback. But I am by no means in a comfortable place. I'm lucky to have had steady work for many years but I'm always up for getting that 'big" break with a song placement. I have 2 kids in college and a mortgage, etc, etc... I'm certainly not at the top of the heap. And I'm not looking down my nose at Taxi in any way shape or form. I simply have not had any success with them in the nearly 4 years I've been with them. If I had no forwards at all I'd certainly put my tail between my legs and move on. But I've had several forwards. It just hasn't worked for me here.