How much cash to expect from writing a top 10 country hit?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: How much cash to expect from writing a top 10 country hi

Post by melodymessiah » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:03 pm

"isn't that a bit like saying jump off the cliff into the water and tell us how deep it is?"

not quite. jumping off a cliff is easy if you really want to, writing a hit is not :P

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:58 am

OK MM edit it to:

"isn't that a bit like saying dive off the cliff into the water performing a reverse 4 and a half somersault piked and tell us how deep it is?

:)

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:24 am

As a songwriter, I would expect:

- some media hype
- recognition
- more emails and questions
- jealousy
- a shoulder to cry on
- peer acknowledgement
- an IOU
- lots of invitations
- more pressure
- more applause
- lots of promises
- maybe a free lunch
- more backpatters
- more intensive co-writing schedule
- a comforting cold beer at the bar

Probably forgot some, but not cash. Those are only for the no. 1 writers :D
Ceo of my own life

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:33 am

jdhogg wrote:OK, so does anyone know how much is typical for radio play for a country song that peaks at number 1 i.e. a number one and one that peaks at number 10?

Also remember that million selling country number ones are getting rarer by the day.
"For a songwriter, each spin on radio banks him or her a royalty check. While the per spin royalty begins with a decimal point instead of a dollar sign, those add up. Depending on the life of the No. 1 hit, it could earn enough to pay for a house. Not a mansion at first, but a pretty nice house. Songwriter Dave Barnes (who wrote ‘God Gave Me You,’ recorded by Blake Shelton) says that songwriters get an additional 12 cents each time their song is sold, as an album cut or as a single. To date, Shelton’s ‘Red River Blue’ album has sold about 532K copies, and the single has been scooped up about 1.3 times. (1.8 million x $.12 = $216,000 for the songwriter. That’s before the radio play royalties.)"

Read More: What Does It Mean to Have the No. 1 Song in Country Music? | http://tasteofcountry.com/top-song-coun ... ck=tsmclip
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks for all the replies and links, but there is still no concrete $ amount of revenue for radio with a country number 1 or number 10.

Does anyone have an up to date figure? Taxi?

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Anyone?

Hey :) TAXI, Michael, any chance you can use your connections and get an answer?

TIA

BruceBrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by BruceBrown » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:38 pm

I can't speak to now, because radio AirPlay is so different, but in the mid 90's a number one country hit was going to pay about $250.000.

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:37 am

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder what it is now?

Thanks

JD

sabalsounds
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sabalsounds » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi jdhogg - you've already gotten the best explanations I think anyone can give. There is no standardized payout. There are so many variables it can make your head spin. The PRO's can't or won't even explain precisely how they are calculating downloads.

Additionally, how many weeks at number one? How many writers on the song that split the earnings? How good or bad of a publishing deal did the writer sign? Does the writer(s) only receive writer's share or did they retain any publishing? Speaking of publishers, if the writer(s) is on the publisher's payroll (i.e. a staff writer) it's common for the publisher to advance the writer money (salary and/or pay for demos) that has to be recouped by the publisher BEFORE the writer is paid. Sometimes writers will sign away all of their publishing. Other times they may forfeit mechanical royalties and just get performance royalties, etc. Did the writer agree to forfeit some royalties to the producer/management/lawyer in order to book the writing session with the A-list artist that resulted in the hit song? There are a lot of deals made from many angles.

If you really want to be impressed (I know I was!!!) just read this article spelling out the details of Pharrell/Thicke vs. Marvin Gaye estate lawsuit for "Blurred Lines". Legalities aside, I didn't think a pop single made THAT much money anymore because of the downloading consumer culture we live in but somebody's making serious bank! :shock:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 310?page=2

In case you don't feel like reading, overall the song generated $17,000,000 for performance/mechanicals (combined?). Then the article explains how that was distributed proportionally to each of the three writers based on their creative contributions and...best part...additionally Williams also earned $4,300,000 for the publishing (smart!) and $860,000 as the producer (who knew?).
“The first draft reveals the art, revision reveals the artist” - Michael Lee

Taxi | Soundcloud

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:21 am

Thanks for the reply Steven.

I used average for a reason. All anyone needs to know is what is the amount that is sent to the publisher to share out. People can easily adjust for their own situation.

Take Care