Questions about PRO's

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Axuel
Impressive
Impressive

Questions about PRO's

Post by Axuel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Hello Everybody

I'm thinking about changing PRO. For different reasons I want to become a member with an american PRO. Unfortunately I couldn't find a lot of information on the web.

Here are a couple of questions that maybe you can help me with.

1) Is it possible to be a member of two PROs?

2) How does the reregister work? Could there be any problems to reregister a song with my new PRO. Anything I need to be aware of? Obviously they should not be registered with two PRO's at the same time.

3) BMI or ASCAP? What are the pro's and contras? How are their internet member accounts and checking your info? If you can share any experience, I'd be really grateful!!

Thanks

Best Reagards
Axel
Last edited by Axuel on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Questions about PRO's

Post by TerrellBurt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:08 pm

My main reference singer, Karina, resides in the The Philippines and her PRO is BMI. She is only a member of one PRO. I know in the U.S. you can only be apart of one PRO but I'm not sure about overseas.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm pretty sure you are compelled to be a member of your own country's PRO. Mine, SOCAN, has agreements with BMI and ASCAP, and when I joined I had to choose my US affiliate. However, I may not join either BMI or ASCAP as far as I know, as I do not reside in the States. I do recall this question being asked before, but I cannot remember the reply I am afraid.

Could you explain why you'd rather belong to a different PRO? Are you unsure they are tracking your royalties correctly?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sabalsounds
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sabalsounds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:01 am

A quick google search found some of the answers:

http://www.ascap.com/about/join/ascap_faqs.aspx
http://www.bmi.com/forms/affiliation/bmi_writer_kit.pdf

Another question: are you affiliating as a writer or publisher or both? Regardless of your decision, read all of the documentation up front. ASCAP, for example, you can easily join but once a member you have to submit written request within a certain window of time prior to your anniversary date to unaffiliate.

SESAC is another US PRO but (I think this is still the case) they go by a referral system to acquire new members. Not everyone can just fill out the forms and join.
“The first draft reveals the art, revision reveals the artist” - Michael Lee

Taxi | Soundcloud

Axuel
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Axuel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:31 am

Hey thanks everybody for there answers. There are a couple of reasons why I want to change. For example I have to pay about 15 dollars to see my statement. So they just pay when I have a placement no other info, there is no internet account were you can see your statement or placements. I found out about a placement I had 2013 in 2015. So its a bit slow. I wanna join as publisher and writer to answer your questions.

I really would appreciate some more input.

Thanks

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:26 pm

I was told I had to reside in the U.S. to join ASCAP or BMI. Thats why I went with PRS which covers the Bahamas..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:17 pm

ASCAP allows foreign registrations but you have to provide original IRS documents (W8 forms) to ASCAP so that they can deal with your non-US-domiciled tax status. I'm in the process of applying and a friend in the UK, a very successful professional producer, is a member.
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:25 pm

MattCurious wrote:ASCAP allows foreign registrations but you have to provide original IRS documents (W8 forms) to ASCAP so that they can deal with your non-US-domiciled tax status. I'm in the process of applying and a friend in the UK, a very successful professional producer, is a member.
Yes I see from reading the FAQ's. I guess I was given the wrong info. Anyway I'm with PRS right now. PRS is a decent PRO affiliated with ASAP. PRS covers the Bahamas and Caribbean as well as UK etc..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud