Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

hard to argue with this take on mastering records loud

Post by andygabrys » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:40 am

http://productionadvice.co.uk/can-you-make-it-louder/

I love articles that you can read it, do it, and INSTANTLY hear what is being discussed.

go ahead, if you are an iTunes user / abuser - enable "soundcheck" in preferences>playback and take a spin through all you usual favorites of old and new music, and listen to some of your cues / songs as well in iTunes

make sure all the music you are going to preview has been added to your iTunes library before you enable soundcheck as it will scan all existing music to equalize "loudness" or "apparent volume".

BONUS: if your audio interface has some kind of output volume meters on it then you might have another piece of information to look at to see how much iTunes Soundcheck is turning down the volume of your iTiunes music, or your personal cues or songs.

Question to you: what kinds of mixes that you did sound the most open and "loud" even after listening via iTunes with Soundcheck enabled?

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: hard to argue with this take on mastering records loud

Post by sansharbour » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:21 am

Hi Andy

I think this is something we should all pay attention to.
It's plain for all to see that this will be the future broadcast standard.

Its funny just a while ago I finished a project and used the meters I have (LCAST, bx meter and VUMT duo)
Using these I was in the right zone according to Ian. Integrated Loudness -13 DR -9. etc.
The song sounded plenty loud to me then I was off to do the test.

Into my car stereo it went and it sounded plenty loud to me BUT THEN I put Taylor Swifts new cd and it was a lot louder then mine... Damn
I was so tempted to reef if up.

Andy, somewhere in the article you posted, Ian points to the fact that a squashed brick wall master may even sound worse then a more dynamic recording after it has been affected by soundcheck and you tube etc

For those interested, he does post a lot of interesting articles on his Production advice site.

:D Don

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks Andy, that was interesting!

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Tue May 05, 2015 1:44 pm

Here is an interesting article on the topic of loudness
It's not by Ian Shepherd.....

bit excessive in their recommendation to mix voices at - 24 Lufs
you tube is at around - 13 Lufs

http://transom.org/2015/the-audio-produ ... -loudness/

Over time we learned to mix louder, now the goal is to mix in a less loud, more dynamic way
To do this though you need to be guided by the newer True Peak, Long Term (average) and Short Term (momentary) Loudness meters

Takes some getting used to but you can take solice that U2 was paying attention to the new standard

Don