Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

For Anyone who uses a Mac

Post by sansharbour » Wed May 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Hello
For those of you who use a Mac.
Have you upgraded to Yosemite and if so are you having any problems.
I am still using Mavericks and have absolutely no problems with it

I am alway a little late in upgrading just because of glitches in the first release of any new operating system
Really don't want it to mess with my music and plugins
But have been thinking about upgrading lately

Thanks
Don

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: For Anyone who uses a Mac

Post by kclements » Thu May 14, 2015 5:09 am

I'm on 10.10.3 - Yosemite. No problems here. In fact, it seems to run a bit faster for me.

BUT, if your system is working and there isn't a specific reason for upgrading, I would stick with what you have. I tend to only update when I have to or there is a new plugin or version of my DAW that requires the update.

cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

joyfrost
Impressive
Impressive

Post by joyfrost » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 am

If anything MAVERICKS was horribly buggy for me. It's smooth sailing now in Yosemite so far

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Thu May 14, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks KC and Joy

Well thats 2 for 2 in the Yosemite camp.
Thats good to know that you haven't had any problems and actually seem to like Yosemite.
KC you said it seems a bit faster....... thats good

I have a version of Final Cut Pro that I can't upgrade to because its not compatible with Mavericks
I make music videos for some of my tunes and would like to have the latest update.
Currently, I have no problems with plugins and Logic so that was my real concern

One More question ........
Did you just click the install button and let apple do its thing?

Don
Last edited by sansharbour on Fri May 15, 2015 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

joyfrost
Impressive
Impressive

Post by joyfrost » Thu May 14, 2015 11:38 am

The safari tabs and the spotlight changes are a big step backwards in yosemite imo but I had to make a choice between that and the spinning beach ball of death ( i had some corrupted files somewhere). I opted to upgrade since I couldn't figure out how to make a USB boot drive to do a clean install to Mavericks without it updating automatically. ;) If you've purchased Final Cut you should be able to just download the upgrade so you maintain compatibility with the new OS X

Just open up Software Update and click the button at the top that says "update all"! It will automatically restart your computer and you should be good to go after it installs :)

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Thu May 14, 2015 11:56 am

I'm using 10.10.3. No problems, but, everyone once in awhile when I click on the mouse or keyboard to wake the computer, the screen freezes and I have to reboot. I can't figure out why, it only happens when the colourful swirl is on the screen, but considering my computer reboots in 30 seconds it's not the end of the world.

As to Safari? Well, I use Chrome!

John

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Fri May 15, 2015 3:18 am

joyfrost wrote:The safari tabs and the spotlight changes are a big step backwards in yosemite imo ...

Really? How so? I really like the new version of spotlight. I rarely used it before, and now I use it quite a bit. I was a big Alfred user, but have started using SL instead. I think I'll go back to Alfred as it does so much more, but still, I find the changes great.

I wonder what you don't care for about it.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

joyfrost
Impressive
Impressive

Post by joyfrost » Fri May 15, 2015 7:19 am

kclements wrote:
joyfrost wrote:The safari tabs and the spotlight changes are a big step backwards in yosemite imo ...

Really? How so? I really like the new version of spotlight. I rarely used it before, and now I use it quite a bit. I was a big Alfred user, but have started using SL instead. I think I'll go back to Alfred as it does so much more, but still, I find the changes great.

I wonder what you don't care for about it.

Cheers
kc

Perhaps it's because I feel like I have less control to actually see what's going on. ;) For example with Spotlight my favorite feature is to hit the show in finder button and then find the path of the file but with the new Spotlight sometimes "show in finder" sometimes doesn't even show up if there's not enough search results and then I have no chance of finding the file path quickly. As far as safari goes I'm what you might call a "tab queen".. ;) and once I fill up the width of the browser window the other tabs get all squished together smaller and smaller instead of being accessible by clicking an arrow and choosing from the other tabs. It's hard for me to sort through them easily now and go directly to one of the inactive tabs without getting lost because they get so small and squished that i can't see which one i'm even clicking on anymore :)