Orchestral simulations too thin

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

janetsnare
Active
Active

Orchestral simulations too thin

Post by janetsnare » Fri May 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi, I'm new to orchestral simulations and wondering how to improve them. A recent critique I got said my samples needed to be fuller, roomier, and less synthy.

In the instrumental I used:
  • [/Kontact 5 violin ensemble - pizzicato
    Kontact 5 double basses - sustain articulation
    Kontact 5 violas - starzando articulation
    Kontact 5 cellos - sustain articulation
    Kontact 5 strings - sustain articulation
    Halion SE cellos, duo
    Halion SE cinematic strings\list]

I panned the strings right and left, though I kept them up front like a real orchestra.

Any suggestions are welcome! the instrumental in question is "the End of Time", which you can find on my taxi page or at Soundcloud:
    https://soundcloud.com/janetsnare/the-end-of-time.

Thanks for your help!
    Janet

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Orchestral simulations too thin

Post by andygabrys » Fri May 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Hey Janet,

this thread might help. http://forums.taxi.com/topic130947.html

Its a deep subject, and its not easy at first. Some of it is just your approach, some of it is maximizing the effect of your orchestral sounds, and some of it is the quality of the orchestral packages you use (unfortunately).

There are a lot of packages out there that are setup to sound pretty convincing out of the box.

To make orchestral samples work, you have to make three things happen - good composition and orchestration (i.e. know how to write for strings so they don't sound like they are played on a piano), good choices with string sounds and articulations, and programming them and mixing them in a believable fashion.

some things that I would focus on:

1) find an orchestral seating chart - that shows where the violins 1 and 2, the violas, the cello and the contrabass are on stage. Its not an absolute rule, but most people expect to hear the sections coming from that part of the stage. Pan the sections to those locations.

2) figure out how to use your keyboard controller to get some life into those sustained notes. Its going to be CC1 (mod wheel), CC11 (expression pedal) which are the things that will help those strings rise and fall in volume and intensity. basically: loud notes are cutting and bright, quiet notes don't have the same bite.

3) listen to some string orchestra recordings, and some film music with string orchestra and try to match the ambience (i.e. reverb) that the sections have. Most of the time to my ear, strings recorded in a hall are more lush and reverb-y than what you have.

good luck!

janetsnare
Active
Active

Re: Orchestral simulations too thin

Post by janetsnare » Sat May 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks a lot, Andy, for the areas I can look into for improving my strings, and the link also! You've given me a lot to consider. I'm currently taking an online music production course through Berklee and just covered volume automation, which I think will give me the ability to produce more nuanced bowing for the strings.

Yeah, I'm sure it will take a lot more practice to get good at it!
Thanks again for your help :P

Janet