A '5-year plan' writing songs?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: A '5-year plan' writing songs?

Post by denalihighway » Sun May 17, 2015 6:27 am

LOL

Its only May - and already my travel / accommodation plans are causing a stir. This is becoming a tradition!

Hopefully it will be the dreamliner and not the nightmaremaker

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sun May 17, 2015 6:48 am

Good topic Gareth. 8-) So what is supposed to happen after 5 years? I always hear about the 5 year plan. I guess I should take the 5 year plan class next rally. :shock:
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun May 17, 2015 7:06 am

On day number 1,826, you awake to find Casey Hurowitz at the end of your bed, wearing a toga, clutching a pitchfork and a harp, and a briefcase swollen with 100 dollar bills. He then offers you a blue pill or a red pill. Don't take the blue pill!

At least that's how I understand it. In other peoples' versions, he may be wearing less. But the toga will quite enough for me.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun May 17, 2015 10:38 am

On day number 1,826, you awake to find Casey Hurowitz at the end of your bed, wearing a toga, clutching a pitchfork and a harp, and a briefcase swollen with 100 dollar bills. He then offers you a blue pill or a red pill. Don't take the blue pill!

At least that's how I understand it. In other peoples' versions, he may be wearing less. But the toga will quite enough for me.
HA!!

I'm on year 3.5 of the 5 year plan. I'm starting to have visions of Casey in his toga, surrounded by Dave Walton, Mazz, and Matt Hirt, with Matt cooing sweet nothings in his soothing accent.

Aside from those hallucinations, things would be going along quite swimmingly if it weren't for the fact that ASCAP takes about 9 months to pay up on royalties. Better make mine the 5 year and 9 month plan.

~~Matt

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun May 17, 2015 10:57 am

After 5 years I'm still on year 1 of my 5 year plan. It's going exactly as planned.

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun May 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Apologies for the visions Matt. That new scene you're setting is like a Taxi version of the last supper or something. Mr. Laskow in the centre clearly.

I guess you're pretty much on the 9-month plan right now though yeah? :)

Ethan you're not really a cues man are you? Sometimes I forget that some songs have possibly hundreds of cue possibilities...another thing on my to-do list, to butcher up existing songs for cues. Staring us in the face sometimes. Good to hear yer stayin' on track though man :)

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun May 17, 2015 3:28 pm

I do instrumental cues but I'd rather work on songs. But the vast majority of my placements are instro cues on reality shows so I'll keep on feeding the beast as best I can.

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun May 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Hmmm...I see.

So there it is. I can hear you saying. "Just STFU and get writing cues Gar...for the love o' god"

I'm not adverse to this at all by the way. But not writing songs would kill me. What I'm doing these days is choosing and developing songs that I feel have something, whether its controversial, or weird, or super catchy, whatever. Gone are the days really where I will develop and spend time recording a breezy stream-of-consciousness type tune. Unless required obviously.

Just back from a screening of some film shorts, some of which I scored - so I'm back interested in film composing. While I was there, I agreed with one of my composer buddies that we'll go back to college for 9 months of game audio in September. Can you see a pattern here? LOL

We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input as always gents.

Gar

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sun May 17, 2015 8:48 pm

denalihighway wrote:On day number 1,826, you awake to find Casey Hurowitz at the end of your bed, wearing a toga, clutching a pitchfork and a harp, and a briefcase swollen with 100 dollar bills. He then offers you a blue pill or a red pill. Don't take the blue pill!

ok I see. :lol:

well I gots a way to go yet...1 yr 5 months into this 5 year plan..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Mon May 18, 2015 1:34 pm

I hear ya. Well you're well of the mark Gav.

The way I'm going I'll be a gardener or something by year four :)